PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Freeflow

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrraLoon

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Freeflow Reply with quote

http://www.theherald.co.uk/business/farming/display.var.2505807.0.Scotlands_farmers_queue_up_for_free_hydroelectricity.php

Quote:
A typical turbine on offer is worth 20k and Freeflow undertake to deal with all the hassles of getting planning permission. It will generate fully four units of electricity, day and night, and would cost you 20k if you could buy it on the open market.

It may seem too good to be true but while the farmer gets free electricity, the Hydro gets to buy the green electricity and Freeflow sells any surplus and cashes the renewable obligation certificates (ROCS) which are worth perhaps 9p a unit to those who produce green energy.

Never heard of this but it seems pretty damned good. Just goes to show that if have land [wi some watter flowin thru it] then all things are possible.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Doug Blair agrees that a man with a good flow of water could do better to install his own turbine

I know lots of women with equal, if not greater, talents.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might well be a good idea, but I dont trust anyone who cant utilise the correct units for electricity.

A "unit" (short for Board of Trade Unit, or kilowatt hour) is a qauntity of electrical energy, not a rate of producing said energy.

So when they say "generates fully four units of electricity" I wonder what they mean.
They probably mean a continous output of four kilowatts, which is certainly worth having.
But they might mean four units a day ! or something else.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Other Alternatives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: