PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Transition exposed!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transition Initiatives
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Transition exposed! Reply with quote

Quote:
"all over the world, groups of people with graduate degrees, affluence, decades of work experience, varieties of advanced training and technological capacities beyond the imagining of our great-grandparents are coming together, looking into the face of apocalypse... and deciding to start a seed exchange or a kids clothing swap."

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2009/11/the-dark-side-of-transition-towns.php
nexus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised that you read 'Treehugger', Vortex !

Rob Hopkins rebutts a lot of what the Treehugger article says in his blog, Transition Culture http://transitionculture.org/2009/11/03/responding-to-alex-steffens-critique-of-transition-at-worldchanging/[url][/url]

However, I too have issues with the Transition model and a better critique of it can be read at: http://sharonastyk.com/2009/06/30/permaculture-future-part-ii/

Did I spot a comment from you Vortex on that particular blog the other week?!
Vortex

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did I spot a comment from you Vortex on that particular blog the other week?!

No comment. Very Happy
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the (many) strengths of the Transition model is that each intiative is very autonomous, doing their own thing in their own way. It makes most generalisations pretty dumb.

So, Nexus, what issues do you have with, to take a not entirely random example, Transition Town Louth?
jonny2mad

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been to transition town meetings and the people involved do seem pretty fluffy and liberal , for some reason I seem to depress them

optimism is cowardice oswald spengler
Keela

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonny2mad wrote:
Ive been to transition town meetings and the people involved do seem pretty fluffy and liberal , for some reason I seem to depress them

Jonny - my mental image of you is nothing like your avatar and I've never been to a transition town meeting either - but the thought of you at a one of those meetings, and the imaginary reactions that you might inspire have given me quite chuckle!

Thanks for that! Cool
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
From the groups that I have met and been involved in, there seems to be an inherent interest in the low-tech, appropriate technology type solutionsóbe it vermiculture, organics or rocket stovesóand a mistrust of many things high tech or market driven, from electric cars to photovoltaics.

Urm, "appropriate technology"... how can that be anything other than appropriate!
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no objection to electric cars or photovoltaics - if they are appropriate.

The big challenge for human society going forward will, as I see it, be preventing a Dark Age - retaining knowledge of how life, the universe and everything works (i.e. no flat earthing, Creationism, or loss of perspective) and maintaining appropriate technology, be that low or high tech. I rather think that crop growing, animal husbandry, energy sources, clothes and tool making and all sorts of make do and mend skills will have to be relearnt by society.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transition Initiatives All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: