PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Renewables to meet 40% of Falklandís energy demand

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quintus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:54 am    Post subject: Renewables to meet 40% of Falklandís energy demand Reply with quote

A wise move, it must be very expensive to import anything into the Falklandís.

Quote:
Renewables to meet 40% of Falklandís energy demand

Three new wind turbines installed on the Falklands which are set to mean that wind power accounts for 40% of all power generated on the islands have begun operating this week. The 330kW Enercon turbines have been added to three turbines which were installed at the Sand Bay Wind Farm, six miles from Stanley, in 2007 as the remote UK overseas territory looked to reduce its reliance on expensive fossil fuel imports.

The next phase in the development of the wind farm is set to be energy storage. By charging a 2MWh battery during optimal wind times and discharging the battery when wind is not available, the Islands' Government hopes to ensure that energy production is kept more constant ....

The Islands have therefore experimented with renewable energy including wind, heat pumps, hydro-electric and solar power. At a recent European Union seminar, the Falklands were named in the leading group of Overseas Territories in terms of the percentage of electricity produced from renewable resources.

The most significant impact of the three additional turbines is likely to be a reduction in the amount of diesel used on the Islands, thereby reducing costs and minimising the environmental impact. The installation of the first three wind turbines at the site in 2007 resulted in the displacement of 26% of the Stanley Power Station's annual fuel consumption and reduced the cost of electricity by six pence per unit.

This figure compares favourably to the UK Government's goal for 20% of electricity produced in the UK to be renewable by 2020.

The Falklands now aims to reach 40% fuel displacement with the three new turbines and part of this target involves increasing take up in the agricultural sector. Farms in the Islands used to rely solely on diesel generators for their power, but this proved expensive and only provided electricity for a few hours a day. But, after funding assistance through the Falkland Islands Development Corporation (FIDC), 85% of farms now have 24-hour power from renewable sources.

http://newenergyfocus.com/do/ecco/view_item?listid=1&listcatid=32&listitemid=3607&section=Wind
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can any UK resident go and live on the Falklands?

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
Quintus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Hunt wrote:

You'd need a work visa and be taking on a job no Falkland Islander could do. They don't have any oil expertise, not sure where they stand as regards wind energy knowhow. They don't have any unemployment, so I suppose if the oil industry did take off they might need extra people in support roles. There are some workers from Chile and British Saint Helena there; I assume they could increase that number if required.

Despite the global recession, tourism is growing; perhaps there would be some opportunities if you had some genuine eco-tourism expertise. Farming seems very "green", apparrently no pesticides and just a little fertilizer used.

The Falklandís is just a little smaller than Northern Ireland (pop. 1.75m) but only has a population of about 3,000. Supposedly no pollution, no chain stores, no poverty, no drug abuse, virtually no crime. They have a police force, I wonder what they do all day?

I'm no expert, mostly it's just what I found on the government website and in a 2-part video.

http://www.youtube.com/user/FalklandsPortal#p/u/12/-iHqDJEaY5o
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy Hunt wrote:
How's your Spanish Twisted Evil ?
Quintus

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing the theme of moving to the Falklands . . .

I remain to be convinced thereís any viable quantity of oil out there; but letís suppose there is. The Falkland Islanders and their government will have to decide what changes they want to make (as mentioned on the video).

The biggest decision I think will be whether to keep the islands with a population of about 2000 (not counting temporary workers and military) or bring in lots of new people. Lots to be said for keeping as it is; you know everybody and thereís a strong little community. But long-term will you be able to keep everybody on the islands once theyíve got the money to go where there are more opportunities? Particularly given most of the younger generation will have spent several years in the UK at college/University Ė and everybody on the islands will have had regular exposure to the wider world via cable TV and the internet.

An alternatively would be to offer some sort of invitation for applications to relocate; taking into account useful skills, age, children etc. A population of 20,000 or more can offer a lot more in terms of skill sets, healthcare, education, sports opportunities, culture, choice of romantic partners and general facilities. These are surely important factors when you are trying to keep people on isolated islands.

I notice that if the oil companies do strike a significant amount of oil, one thing promised seems to be the building of 350 houses (doubling the size of Stanley?).
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...choice of romantic partners...
is pretty bloody crucial on a small island!

The whole thing is a huge challenge socially and I hope they don't make a mess of it. I wonder if they could organise community buy-outs of parts of the land (to keep the community aspect of the present lifestyle) along the lines of the good burghers of Eigg and Gigha?
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...choice of romantic partners...
Andy Hunt

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

< struggles to control self >

I wouldn't want to worry you with the truth. Rolling Eyes
emordnilap

Location: Hou«Ěs ál é' ŠīČ á,s …Ļ«Ě…źll é uo á  ćo…Ļ á…•  á…•«Ě «Ě…ü…üo…Ļ á' pou, á «Ě Ć«Ěu qo á…•«Ě…Ļňô

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<fails>
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food, I think one of your seagulls is giving her the eye... Twisted Evil
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

It's just one big love-fest down there!
Aurora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I can't wait to 'pick up a penguin'. Very Happy
Quintus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aurora wrote:

P-P-Pick up a Penguin .... Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0Fa66h6Qo
Aurora

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quintus wrote:
Aurora wrote:

P-P-Pick up a Penguin .... Very Happy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fI0Fa66h6Qo

God, I feel old! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: