PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lord Monckton on Bonn climate conf: They're at it again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
contadino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
This is a debating forum yes ? So only people with the same opinions get to post here, and all the rest are trolls is that right ? Rolling Eyes

Has anyone even thought to look at a single link I have posted or addressed any of its content ?

Nope

All I have hoped is that some would at least want to question the dogma we are fed on the basis of science rather than propaganda before we tear up our economies on its say so. . Go look for the science that is alleged to underpin the whole AGW premise yourselves and you soon find out it turns up missing. Dont just take my word for it ! I was a true 'believer' once too until I did so. Truth comes first with me and the politics (correct or otherwise) a distant second I had perhaps naievely hoped some on this forum might have thought likewise.

Big mistake it seems Sad

I like this guy. A bit like RGR, completely wrong on so many levels, but at least it's in English.

Flogger, I didn't follow any of your links, but that's largely due to my disinterest in the subject rather than any disfunction of the forum.
flogger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I like this guy. A bit like RGR, completely wrong on so many levels, but at least it's in English.

Dont let me stop you overwhelming me using your clearly vastly superior knowledge by pointing out where I am 'wrong on so many levels'. Rolling Eyes

So much for its credibility !
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
Quote:

Dont let me stop you overwhelming me using your clearly vastly superior knowledge by pointing out where I am 'wrong on so many levels'. Rolling Eyes

You might like to try reading some previous threads then, not everyone has the same amount of time to bat things back and forth all day long as you seem to.
flogger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You might like to try reading some previous threads then, not everyone has the same amount of time to bat things back and forth all day long as you seem to.

Indeed so

In fact it appears some have only the time to read what they want to believe rather than what is true it seems. Shocked

contadino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
In fact it appears some have only the time to read what they want to believe rather than what is true it seems. Shocked

20 posts and already you know us all so well. Rolling Eyes
eatyourveg

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You featured in this flooger?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Mt1RNDEh7Y
flogger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
20 posts and already you know us all so well.

Well given that not a single link or valid point I have made has met with anything but derision and 'troll' logos without reference to any part of them what am I supposed to think ?

I'm the one trying to initiate debate not shut it down ..... this is a debating forum or a masonic lodge ? Confused

Last edited by flogger on Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
emordnilap

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
Not drive? Ride bikes? Use coal free renewably created electricity to fuel our addiction to energy and transportation?

Good ideas, flogger. Fair play to you.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
flogger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
flogger wrote:
Not drive? Ride bikes? Use coal free renewably created electricity to fuel our addiction to energy and transportation?

And totally impracticable which of course was the point I was making

contadino

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
flogger wrote:

And totally impracticable which of course was the point I was making

Perfectly practical for me. Except that I have no coal, so I'd best make use of biomass, PV & wind turbines instead.
flogger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Perfectly practical for me. Except that I have no coal, so I'd best make use of biomass, PV & wind turbines instead.

De industrialisation is a non starter and I rather suspect would lead to the loss of a sizeable percentage of the poorest populations who couldnt afford to pay for those new trendy and expensive renewables. Future energy use must take into account practical realities of the third world rather than ideal world ivory tower aspirations and PC guilt of the middle class West.

2 As and a B

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the bubble of the Oil Age!

De-industrialisation - and relocalisation - will be the only game in town in another 57 years time.

On yer bike, laddie!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

flogger wrote:
Why do we listen to the IPCC when its boss is an ex railway engineer?

Because he has a track record second to none.

Quote:
Dr. R.K. Pachauri
Chairman, Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change

Dr Rajendra K Pachauri was born in Nainital, India, on 20 August 1940. He assumed his current responsibilities as the head of TERI (Tata Energy Research Institute) in 1981, first as Director and, since April 2001, as Director-General. TERI does original work and provides professional support in the areas of energy, environment, forestry, biotechnology, and the conservation of natural resources to government departments, institutions, and corporate organizations worldwide. Dr Pachauri has been elected as Chairman of IPCC (Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change), established by World Meteorological Organization and United Nations Environment Programme in 1988. He has taken charge as Chairman, IPCC from 20th April 2002 onwards. He has been active in several international forums dealing with the subject of climate change and its policy dimensions.
To acknowledge his immense contribution to the field of environment, he has been awarded the Padma Bhushan -- one of India's highest civilian awards that recognizes distinguished service of a high order to the nation in any field (January 2001).

Commencing his career with the Diesel Locomotive Works, Varanasi, where he held several managerial positions, Dr Pachauri joined the North Carolina State University, Raleigh, NC, USA, where he obtained an MS in Industrial Engineering in 1972, a PhD in Industrial Engineering and a PhD in Economics, and also served as Assistant Professor (August 1974 -- May 1975) and Visiting Faculty Member (Summer 1976 and 1977) in the Department of Economics and Business.

On his return to India, he joined the Administrative Staff College of India, Hyderabad, as Member Senior Faculty (June 1975 -- June 1979) and went on to become Director, Consulting and Applied Research Division (July 1979 -- March 1981). He joined TERI as Director in April 1981.

He has also been a Visiting Professor, Resource Economics at the College of Mineral and Energy Resources, West Virginia University (August 1981 -- August 1982); Senior Visiting Fellow, Resource Systems Institute, East -- West Center, USA (May -- June 1982); and Visiting Research Fellow, The World Bank, Washington, DC (June -- September 1990). Recognising his vast knowledge and experience in the energy -- environment field, the United Nations Development Programme appointed him as a part time Adviser in the fields of Energy and Sustainable Management of Natural Resources, 1994 -- 1999.

His wide-ranging expertise has resulted in his being invited to join various international and national

committees and boards, which on the international level include Member, Board of the International Solar Energy Society (ISES), 1991 -- 1997; Member, World Resources Institute (WRI) Council, 1992; Chairman, Work Group A -- World Energy Council (WEC) Committee on Developing Countries, 1993 -- 1995; President (1988), Chairman (1989 -- 90), International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE), Washington, D C .; President, Asian Energy Institute, 1992 onwards.

Committees of the Government of India which he has served include Member, Panel of Eminent Persons on Power, Ministry of Power; Member, Delhi Vision -- Core Planning Group; Member, Advisory Board on Energy (ABE), Government of India, 1983 -- 1988 (The Board reported directly to the Prime Minister of India); Member, National Environmental Council, Government of India under the Chairmanship of the Prime Minister of India, November 1993 and April 1999; Member, Oil Industry Restructuring Group, "R" Group, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India, 1994.

He has also served on academic and research institute bodies including Member, Board of Governors, Trireme Scientific & Industrial Research Foundation, September 1987; Member, Executive Committee of the India International Center, 1985 onwards; Member, Governing Council of the India Habitat Center, New Delhi, October 1987 onwards; Member, Court of Governors, Administrative Staff College of India, 1979 -- 81.

In January 1999, Dr R K Pachauri was appointed as Director, Board of Directors of the Indian Oil Corporation Limited (a Fortune 500 company) for a period of 3 years.

In April 1999, Dr R K Pachauri was appointed as the Member, Board of Directors of the Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Environment Agency, Government of Japan, for a period of 3 years.

In September 1999, Dr R K Pachauri was appointed as the Chairman, The Darjeeling Himalayan Railway Heritage Foundation, Darjeeling.

He taught at the School of Forestry & Environmental Studies, Yale University, USA, as McCluskey Fellow during 6 September -- 8 December 2000.

In July 2001, Dr R K Pachauri was appointed Member, Economic Advisory Council to the Prime Minister of India.

He has also authored 21 books and several papers and articles.

(Apologies for breaking my own anti-troll advice but I couldn't resist the pun Smile )
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flogger, In stead of saying it can't be done, many posters here are progressing steadily, some faster than others, towards a low energy future.

I cycle most places. Use renewable energy / biofuels to heat house and water to some extent. I am working on a PV installation to further cut my family's domestic electricity consumption (currently running at 44 watts per person average) Insulation and new boiler to cut gas consumption, etc., etc.

Others have done much, much more.

What is not practical and is not going to happen is business as usual. You are in danger of finding that out the hard way.
RogueMale

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
Flogger, In stead of saying it can't be done, many posters here are progressing steadily, some faster than others, towards a low energy future.

Me too. I do most of my commuting by bicycle, take the train for my holidays, go camping. I'm not losing out: I enjoy biking, it keeps me fit, and it saves me a lot of money. Not flying means I don't have to go through intrusive body scanners. Camping means I can light fires and gets me away from civilization for a while. Oh, and I forage. This means I have a more varied diet and get close to nature, walking in the woods, or on the common.

I'd do these things anyway even if global warming wasn't happening.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Climate Change All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: