PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Wood Pellet boilers
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
snow hope

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting post Ken - thanks. Smile

I would prefer a log boiler myself and have never been a fan of the wood pellet boiler. Even less so now considering this thread. I'll not mention it to my mate though..... Wink
Mark S

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We think KCC might have abandoned the pellet type boilers scheme. Not quite sure why, will let you know.
PelHeat

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

I’ve just read through the posts in the tread and I thought I would make a few points. Firstly wood pellet boilers may seem ‘new’ here in the UK, however in Sweden they are the most common form of heating. Some of the points raised are valid and others not so much.

We currently use a Tatano pellet boiler; you can see a video of the boiler operating here www.woodpelletmill.com. We have successful burnt a wide variety of pellets we have made in the boiler. Some pellets produce more ash than other and some form clinker formations similar to coal. The Tatano boiler can also burn logs and can have a gas or oil burner attached if required.

The main reason we are focused on pellets is we believe in more than just wood as a fuel, and to burn materials efficiently, densification is very important.

Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages, and with pellets fuel supply is the biggest issue. The market currently is in a ‘chicken and egg’ scenario. Large-scale pellet plants are very expensive to set-up, and many investors will not support a plant until there are local customers. However local people will not buy pellet stoves and boilers until there is a local supplier, so which comes first? This is one of the key reasons we are developing small-scale solutions to get the market moving.

No all stoves and boilers have the same abilities, and some are better suited for different situations. Before coming to conclusions on a technology that has been proven in countries outside of the UK, please keep an open mind and make educated decisions.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PelHeat wrote:
Hi Everyone

I’ve just read through the posts in the tread and I thought I would make a few points. Firstly wood pellet boilers may seem ‘new’ here in the UK, however in Sweden they are the most common form of heating. Some of the points raised are valid and others not so much.

We currently use a Tatano pellet boiler; you can see a video of the boiler operating here www.woodpelletmill.com. We have successful burnt a wide variety of pellets we have made in the boiler. Some pellets produce more ash than other and some form clinker formations similar to coal. The Tatano boiler can also burn logs and can have a gas or oil burner attached if required.

The main reason we are focused on pellets is we believe in more than just wood as a fuel, and to burn materials efficiently, densification is very important.

Every technology has its advantages and disadvantages, and with pellets fuel supply is the biggest issue. The market currently is in a ‘chicken and egg’ scenario. Large-scale pellet plants are very expensive to set-up, and many investors will not support a plant until there are local customers. However local people will not buy pellet stoves and boilers until there is a local supplier, so which comes first? This is one of the key reasons we are developing small-scale solutions to get the market moving.

No all stoves and boilers have the same abilities, and some are better suited for different situations. Before coming to conclusions on a technology that has been proven in countries outside of the UK, please keep an open mind and make educated decisions.

And don't get influenced by vested interests?
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
tabithatabby

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were mug enough to try to be 'green' and bought a wood pellet boiler. It has been a total disaster and very unreliable. It was very mis-sold by the suppliers, who said we could get a blown in supply - no you can't - and that there would be maintenance locally - no you can't.

I feel very very angry that we have been taken in by a very expensive complex product which is very unreliable.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabithatabby wrote:
we were mug enough to try to be 'green'

Oh no you weren't! You were very sensible to try and be green but you were possibly badly advised.

Now you've found Powerswitch, have a read around the threads and you will find a lot of advice about various aspects of going green. Many of the actions don't cost a lot but will help you with your carbon and money saving. If you've got any specific questions ask here before going to a supplier as we don't usually have any particular axe to grind. We do have some very strong ideas is some cases, though.

And welcome!

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
JohnB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience of pellets cost me a lot of money, and almost destroyed a very good small company. It ended up nearly destroying me instead! And it was nothing to do with the Okofen I posted pictures of on the previous page.

My feeling from experience of commercial domestic renewable energy systems was, that although they have their place, they are too complex. I have my doubts about parts being available when they're really needed in the future, potentially making them useless when they're really needed.

I think the best investment is in passive solutions, such as insulation and airtightness, to reduce the need for energy. Then install simple easily repairable systems to provide the minimum possible heat requirements.

Eco-Hamlets UK - Small sustainable neighbourhoods
Permaculture UK Forum
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnB wrote:
I think the best investment is in passive solutions, such as insulation and airtightness, to reduce the need for energy. Then install simple easily repairable systems to provide the minimum possible heat requirements.

Quite right, John. The concept that technology will save us is completely wrong; technology will kill us as it gradually breaks down in a resource expensive and poor future. Passive systems are best.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tabithatabby wrote:
we were mug enough to try to be 'green' and bought a wood pellet boiler. It has been a total disaster and very unreliable. It was very mis-sold by the suppliers, who said we could get a blown in supply - no you can't - and that there would be maintenance locally - no you can't.

I feel very very angry that we have been taken in by a very expensive complex product which is very unreliable.

I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.

Welcome to PS, tabithatabby.

Just thinking about being 'green' is an excellent start. Remember, everyone makes mistakes and the real lesson is to learn from them.

Being in any way green most often means simplicity - my personal view on pellet stoves is that they are greenwash: far too complex, requiring too much infrastructure and damned expensive to boot.

If trawling through the site is daunting, start a thread about your particular circumstances. There's bound to be someone on here that's had to go through the same as you when it comes to heating a house.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: