PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Nuclear energy can still thrive in the region says scientist

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:54 am    Post subject: Nuclear energy can still thrive in the region says scientist Reply with quote

Quote:
Manchester Evening News - 17/03/11

A scientist who works with the nuclear industry on cutting edge research has attempted to allay fears about prospects for the future of the sector's 22,000 north west employees.

Dr John Roberts, external business manager at the Centre of Nuclear Energy Technology (C-NET) – housed within the University's of Manchester's Dalton Nuclear Institute – suggested media reaction to the unfolding nuclear disaster in Japan has been alarmist and inaccurate.

He said: "I think people have to understand that there's been a massive earthquake, followed by a huge tsunami, and that there's no way we would have either of those things here."

Dr Roberts also believes that the risk to human life from radiation have been overplayed and that says that there is currently no viable alternative to nuclear power when it comes to meeting Britain's future energy needs.

Article continues ...
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people have to understand that an awful lot of research at Manchester Uni, interesting and useful though it may be, is funded by the nuclear industry. And even professors sometimes get P45s.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I think we also have to understand that professors at Manchester University (Russell Group, after all), who do interesting and useful work on the nuclear power industry, might just know what they're talking about.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course they do. But they're also talking for their supper. I used to work in Academia and I know what it's like. You always need sponsors.

I'd be more inclined to believe a retired Prof., whether they were Pro or Anti.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: