PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

galactic-scale energy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:20 pm    Post subject: galactic-scale energy Reply with quote

This is a welcome light-hearted look at energy, with serious undertones.

Read and enjoy!
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got cross with the comments and stopped reading as many of the posters just didn't see the point of the article. I think Tom Murphy was getting cross as well from this
Quote:
For those only interested in the here and now, that's what gets us into this mess. I'm an advocate of using our big brains to anticipate the long term future, so we actually have time to adjust course.

I'm guessing we all agree.

I'm guessing they don't! Growth Rulz!

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what shows the great divide in ethics between those who care about their own lives now and maybe their immediate family and acquaintances and those who are willing to embrace the welfare of those in both distant lands and distant times.

So long as economic growth can appear to be maintained for the immediate future, politicians declare their work a success.
featherstick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're doomed. Or, at least, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildre are doomed!
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
I got cross with the comments and stopped reading

The comments on that site are usually pretty good (it's one of the very few sites where comments are worth reading) but I agree, a lot of them missed the point.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll agree with that Em, but on that particular thread many just didn't get it. Mainly Yanks, I would think.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

featherstick wrote:
We're doomed. Or, at least, my great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great grandchildre are doomed!

Never mind the economy, the whole of the Greenland and Antarctic icecaps may have melted by then. Smile
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
I'll agree with that Em, but on that particular thread many just didn't get it. Mainly Yanks, I would think.

Rolling Eyes I suppose you think the UK readers of that thread have a much higher percentage of "Getting it". A bit presumptuous I would think.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Albert Bartlett did this better 10 years ago.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do a search for Albert Bartlett or exponential growth on this forum, JSD, you'll find that he is one of the most quoted people on here. We are fully cognisant of his lecture and most of us bought into it years ago. I have been quoting him in lectures for a couple of years at least.

I think you will find, Biff and Featherstick, that the world economy will have been in tatters for a few years even before the Arctic is clear of ice in summer, let alone the ice caps gone.

Vermont, I think you will find that the great British public wouldn't even know what was being talked about. They might hear about growth but couldn't relate it to them being more affluent every year. They are cushioned by the Welfare State. In the US the consequences of a lack of growth and the realisation of what will happen without it are probably a lot sharper. Hence the howls of anguish over any thought of it not being possible in the future.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: