PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grounds for Hope

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:12 pm    Post subject: Grounds for Hope Reply with quote

http://www.permaculture.co.uk/book-reviews/grounds-hope-ways-live-legally-cheap-land-uk

Quote:
Grounds for Hope is the result of years of research by Chrissie Sugden into the options for people wanting to live legally on land without formal planning permission.

Being a UK resident with a long-term plan to self-build my next house in a completely sustainable way, I felt it somewhat serendipitous that a manuscript of planning permission research made its way to me. The regulations in the minefield that is planning permission in Great Britain are, frankly, eye watering in their complexity. After years of on-andoff research, I am still amazed with the apparent ease that local council planning permission dogma can send a positive, pragmatic person into a spiral of despair and inadequacy. I am pleased to report, however, that we don't need to feel quite so desperate or inadequate.

With Grounds for Hope, Chrissie Sugden has summarised years of research into an accessible and readily-digestible document that has real value for selfbuilders, sustainable prospectors and dreamers with future plans. Do you want to live in the rolling countryside hills on a smallholding? The idyllic, almost clichéd concept of a dwelling tucked neatly into its surroundings might be one step closer to becoming reality when you read Grounds for Hope.

I saved the best and worst part 'til last: planning regulations ebb and flow, regularly changing specification during the planning or building stages of a dwelling. It's irritating, sometimes infuriating, but

Chrissie has overcome this by providing information and pointing out resources to enable and empower the reader to stay in control. That's the crucial part: Chrissie isn't showing you all the answers to the thousand and one things that need to be done when planning a new dwelling, rather she's setting you up with the reinforcements that you'll be needing to get you through with your sanity intact.

eatyourveg

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, been right there in that planning nightmare. Anything that provides good solid info and an insight into the minds of planning officers can only be good.
What it really comes down to is that you need to know more than they do, give 'em enough rope and they will eventually hang themselves. They believe their own propaganda, they don't imagine you are ever going to come back at them with a knockout, but it can be done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: