PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can you be conservative and green?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevecook172001

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:
stevecook172001 wrote:

I think, more than anything, I am a libertarian. I would just argue that that libertarianism, if fully appreciated, inevitably leads to a left-leaning analysis of human affairs.

Libertarianism is the belief that everyone should, to the greatest extent feasible, do what they feel like. Since human beings are, by default, selfish, libertarianism could therefore equally be held up as the ultimate right-wing ideology.

It's all academic anyway, isn't it? I don't know how any intelligent person can believe in any ideology. They've all been discredited.

Through temperament and/or upbringing, I'm left-leaning, but that doesn't make my political views "correct", they're just an indication of the kind of world I'd like to live in.

I also tend to authoritarianism, because people left to their own devices take the line of least resistance, i.e. self-gratification, idleness and violence. If I've become more "libertarian" it's only because I've lost all faith in authority. That's not the same as not believing in the need for authority.

How can you believe there is a human system that will make everyone happy, forever?

The only solution to human problems is death.
I suppose the problem I have with the authority of a state is the following, Ludwig:

If the world is full of good people, then an authoritarian state is not necessary.

If the world is full of bad people then an authoritarian state is pointless.

However, if the world is full of both good and bad people, then the bad people will always end up running the state because only bad people want power over others.

In which case, we're all ****** anyway.

In other words, with the state, you get crime and war.

Without the state, you just get crime.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevecook172001 wrote:
Ludwig wrote:
stevecook172001 wrote:

I think, more than anything, I am a libertarian. I would just argue that that libertarianism, if fully appreciated, inevitably leads to a left-leaning analysis of human affairs.

Libertarianism is the belief that everyone should, to the greatest extent feasible, do what they feel like. Since human beings are, by default, selfish, libertarianism could therefore equally be held up as the ultimate right-wing ideology.

It's all academic anyway, isn't it? I don't know how any intelligent person can believe in any ideology. They've all been discredited.

Through temperament and/or upbringing, I'm left-leaning, but that doesn't make my political views "correct", they're just an indication of the kind of world I'd like to live in.

I also tend to authoritarianism, because people left to their own devices take the line of least resistance, i.e. self-gratification, idleness and violence. If I've become more "libertarian" it's only because I've lost all faith in authority. That's not the same as not believing in the need for authority.

How can you believe there is a human system that will make everyone happy, forever?

The only solution to human problems is death.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

You really are a happy little bunny arent you Ludwig...

Ludwig on a good day...
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
SleeperService

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the one word, smug answer is unlikely Very Happy

Slightly longer version I'll act green if the people bribe me with government grants Wink

Just done the test

Economic Left/Right: -8.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.38

and I think everybody will find a question or two objectionable. For example I consider the most important lession I learnt as a child was to be open minded. My mum thought that was so important it was one of the last things we ever talked about.

The thing I found most interesting was that Gordon Brown is considered to be the opposite of me!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: