PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"paradigms are funny things"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:16 pm    Post subject: "paradigms are funny things" Reply with quote

Ha ha, they certainly are, boys and girls.

http://aspoireland.org/2011/09/15/surfing/

Quote:
The challenge that Dr. Campbell faced in proposing his peak oil theory is the threat it posed to the unquestioned faith in the paradigm of economic growth.

Quote:
If we have ambitions to continue to enjoy something approaching the relatively high standard of living we currently enjoy, then that will require a complete re-engineering of [Irish] society to operate on a much lower energy demand basis.

UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If we have ambitions to continue to enjoy something approaching the relatively high standard of living we currently enjoy, then that will require a complete re-engineering of [Irish] society to operate on a much lower energy demand basis.

Somebody still doesn't quite get it....but I guess that's better than being totally oblivious to it.

I think we have to change the way we measure "standard of living." We have to be de-brainwashed so we no longer want to go on buying all that stuff we don't need and probably wouldn't even want if weren't continually bombarded with propaganda designed to make us to want it.

http://www.virginmedia.com/homefamily/house/cleaning-products.php?ssid=7

Quote:

As youve probably guessed from the near-constant advertising that these products get, the competition for keeping peoples homes smelling nice is tough.

[snip]

It seems smell is a very personal thing as none of the testers said that they would opt for any of the air-fresheners tested, with many saying theyd simply open some windows in their house.

Rolling Eyes
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UndercoverElephant wrote:
Quote:

Somebody still doesn't quite get it....but I guess that's better than being totally oblivious to it.

I was thinking as I read the piece, there's no solutions or practical recommendations or plans offered in many of these types of articles. There seems to be a 'don't frighten the horses' attitude among public speakers - unsurprisingly as the Greens now have no electoral mandate in Ireland. It's a message that only ends up at best with forty low-energy bulbs in an average house where there used to be ten incandescents.

Your man has grasps the 'paradigm' nettle - then backs off to say, "something approaching." Is there any wonder some people would like to bring collapse on? At least then we might see some action. We have to stop heating the planet.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeepers, I had a look at that Virgin site, what a waste of space.

And who funded this study:

http://health.virginmedia.com/chocolate-like-exercise-study-finds.htm

? Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Jeepers, I had a look at that Virgin site, what a waste of space.

And who funded this study:

http://health.virginmedia.com/chocolate-like-exercise-study-finds.htm

? Laughing Laughing Laughing Rolling Eyes

Chocolate manufacturers, I would wager...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Ireland All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: