PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Richie2008

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:

For what it's worth, my guess is that no new nuclear power station will be commissioned in western Europe. From what you say, Italy may be the exception, but I doubt even this.

By italy i'm not sure but we will know more in June about that after the public opinion poll.
The exception will be France with more then 50 nuclear plants i don't think they care about one or two more.
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Need opinion to nuclear power for my bachelor thesis. Reply with quote

RGR wrote:
foodimista wrote:

What money did they pay? It was their home already. It's not like the US where people move all around the country grubbing for an extra bit of money. Why should they have to move?

Because they are afraid of a nuke accident obviously. If you aren't willing to accept the risks of your particular location, if you BELIEVE your own press, you MOVE. If you do not, you stick around and take your chances.

Yes, and I suspect many of the people living near Fukishima may have worked in the nuclear industry all their lives, doing very nicely thank-you. And many might even have worked father and boy. It's certainly the case in the UK that the workforce surrounding most nuclear installations (i.e. the majority of the population surrounding the facility) DON'T want the facility closed down, thank you very much; given a vote they'd want it expanded and open forever. If they can put up with Sellafield (aka Windscale), site of one major accident in the past, they can put up with anything.

As for Fukishima: well, it occurs to me that once they've nicely buttoned up the wrecked reactors in concrete, they'll have an excellent seawall protection for new build of improved reactors.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"May have a role to play" is a bit dubious. All the people who put "yes" might, for all we know, be resigned to the government choosing nuclear as part of the energy mix, rather than be wanting it.

Also it is becoming more and more the case that, without seeing the original questions and their rubric, it is difficult to interpret results because "leading" questions or combos of questions can't be identified (at least this one takes the trouble to repeat the questions verbatim, mind).

As to the OP's survey, I jalouse it's not written in his mother tongue (so some of the words have "associations" in our culture of which he might be completely unaware, and some make no sense at all unless you speak one of the Romance languages) and he makes the basic mistake of asking the "category" qs (age, sex social-status...) first.

I could go on...
biffvernon

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt at all that nuclear will have a role to play in our overall energy mix in the future. They are not going to be all closed down by tea time tomorrow...and that's still several hours in the future. Daft question.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richie2008 wrote:

The work is not only based on the communities but also on the politics in the European Union. And here only Germany and France are really against nuclear power. Italy for example is just getting back in nuclear power.

The "politics of the EU" is soon going to change rather radically. The eurozone either has to break apart or become much closer together. I personally suspect that the political differences will dictate it is the former rather than the latter. It's not just nuclear power the different european nations can't agree about - it's lots of other things too, and some of them are critically important.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: