PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anti-nuclear protests in Germany and France

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:36 am    Post subject: Anti-nuclear protests in Germany and France Reply with quote

Quote:
BBC News - 25/04/11

Thousands of people in France and Germany have staged protests calling for an end to nuclear power.

Marches were held on several river bridges between France and Germany over the Rhine while there were further protests at German nuclear plants.

The protests come on the eve of the 25th anniversary of the nuclear disaster at Chernobyl in Ukraine.

Article continues ...
biffvernon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is curious how little attention is being given to nuclear power and Fukushima in the UK media - not a mention in Saturday's Guardian or Sunday's Observer. If you search on #Fukushima in twitter you get lots of tweets in Japanese, obviously, but then the rest, instead of being totally dominated by English language tweets, have a lot in German, French and Spanish. I've not actually counted a sample but my gut feeling is that there is a lot more interest in the subject outside the English-speaking world than is usual for twitter.

The pro-nuclear people here will doubtless find Chris Busby's latest interview amusing:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-3Kf4JakWI&feature=channel_video_title
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We all think you're doing more than enough
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An Inspector Calls wrote:
We all think you're doing more than enough

I don't think you are in any position to speak for any "we" on this site. I think you speak for the nuclear industry because you are being paid to do so. If it was up to me, you'd be banned from this forum.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biff
The MSM have ignored it, because its no longer new, and their screams that its the end of the world will not sell any papers.
The hysterical blogosphere is bored of it for much the same reason.
The high end blogosphere has dismissed it as technologicaly irrelevent in its entirety and political irrelevent for now.

Which leaves you, who will continue to scream its the end of the world and hundreds of billions of people have already turned into radiaoactive canibals long after the incident is entirely forgotten.

Deaths from inadequate nuclear safety measures, none.
Deaths from inadequate earthquake and tsunami defences, 14,416

Face it biff, even if the relativly minor nuclear incident hadnt occured, these people would still be protesting, based on what could have occured. In reality of course, they are protesting on their own entirely inaccurate understanding of what did occur.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:

YET.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:

What about the emerging cancer deaths from Chernobyl. The one's governments are trying to cover up.

I suppose that the marches were held on the Rhine bridges so that the French riot police couldn't steam in and break them up as they are wont to do.
Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DominicJ wrote:
even if the relativly minor nuclear incident hadnt occured

Shocked Rolling Eyes
An Inspector Calls
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal wrote:
DominicJ wrote:

What about the emerging cancer deaths from Chernobyl. The one's governments are trying to cover up.

I suppose that the marches were held on the Rhine bridges so that the French riot police couldn't steam in and break them up as they are wont to do.

Ah, so one didn't listen to BBC R4 : Fallout - the Legacy of Chernobyl last night as your Bandidoz told you to do?
2 As and a B

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

biffvernon wrote:
It is curious how little attention is being given to nuclear power and Fukushima in the UK media - not a mention in Saturday's Guardian or Sunday's Observer. If you search on #Fukushima in twitter you get lots of tweets in Japanese, obviously, but then the rest, instead of being totally dominated by English language tweets, have a lot in German, French and Spanish. I've not actually counted a sample but my gut feeling is that there is a lot more interest in the subject outside the English-speaking world than is usual for twitter.

Try these: Google news and Google Realtime

I'll post a few news items in the Fukushima thread...
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh there's lots out there if one searches, just not much from the BBC and the UK daily newspapers. Part of the problem is the poor and limited information that TEPCO and the Japanese government are supplying. But that should be a news story in itself.
DominicJ

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Grauniad - Where investigative journalism is publishing press releases from our mates.
Martinez

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:04 pm    Post subject: now is the time Reply with quote

“This movement is the indignation of people who are aware of the dangers of nuclear and who reject politics geared only toward the profit of certain businesses,” said a 60-year-old activist, who did not want to give his name.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Nuclear Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: