PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Art

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 pm    Post subject: Art Reply with quote

Hockney has a major exhibition at the Royal Academy. There's a review in the Telegraph and the comments below have the normal arguefying but this little rant caught my attention:

Quote:
masistios
01/19/2012 06:20 AM
"Why would someone so clued up wilfully paint as though surrealism, colour-field abstraction, minimalism and all the rest hadnít happened? These images are so passť they feel like a provocation. I donít get it."

With access to infinite resources, you can indulge every whim and fantasy. You don't "get it", I would suggest, because your thinking on art is stuck in the 20th century mode; a deluded world in which horizons were thought to be infinate, frontierless. No dream was too big, too great.

It was in such a world, that frivolous artistic experiments could thrive; visual art didn't have to be 'useful' or 'educational' or carry any kind of moral message - it didn't have to be anything at all and so, in most people's eyes, it became nothing.

But when resources begin to run out, you have to reconsider your situation very carefully. It should be perfectly clear to everyone by now, that we do not live on a planet with infinite resources and we will not be able to nourish every single one of humanities whims and fantasies.

So, from Hockney's work and from his proclamations, I assume that he is trying to project a message; the money for nothing era is over - in art, as elsewhere in life.

We have an economic system which is thundering up a blind alley toward a brick wall; a system built on the presumption of ever increasing growth - at the same time as rapidly dwindling resources.

By going back to nature, and to the true nature of art, I think Hockney is suggesting, that if art and artists can't retrace some of our misplaced footsteps, then what hope is there of turning around other, much more cumbersome systems?

The world can no longer afford pointless, useless, frivolous, lazy and self-indulgent artists or artistic experiments. Artists need to be useful now more than ever. They do this by leading the way back from the decadent, vainglorious pointlessness of our immediate past, into something more meaningful, earthy and worthwhile.

If you don't "get it" soon, you will be overtaken by the 21st century, and remain lost in the academic dust of the deluded 20th. The frivolous dreams which gave rise to "minimalism" and "colour field abstraction" are over. The new reality is much more serious. Hockney knows this, I think. You don't - yet.
Recommended by 13 people

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/art/art-reviews/9018212/David-Hockney-A-Bigger-Picture-Royal-Academy-of-Arts-review.html
Ludwig

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re. the article: another aesthetically numb moron gains a pass to comment on things he knows nothing about.

Still, nice to see sense predominating in the comments for once.

The paintings are fab.
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Bridlington is so much nicer than Los Angeles.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Books, Magazines & Film All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: