PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possible Privatisation of Two Police Forces?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nexus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:27 pm    Post subject: Possible Privatisation of Two Police Forces? Reply with quote

Quote:
Private companies could take responsibility for investigating crimes, patrolling neighbourhoods and even detaining suspects under a radical privatisation plan being put forward by two of the largest police forces in the country.

West Midlands and Surrey have invited bids from G4S and other major security companies on behalf of all forces across England and Wales to take over the delivery of a wide range of services previously carried out by the police.

The contract is the largest on police privatisation so far, with a potential value of 1.5bn over seven years, rising to a possible 3.5bn depending on how many other forces get involved.

This scale dwarfs the recent 200m contract between Lincolnshire police and G4S, under which half the force's civilian staff are to join the private security company, which will also build and run a police station for the first time.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2012/mar/02/police-privatisation-security-firms-crime

Wow Shocked

Last edited by nexus on Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ludwig

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is time to be VERY afraid.

The Government will now be able to wash its hands of the crimes committed by the privatised police in the same way that it washes its hands of the behaviour of the mercen... I mean security contractors in Iraq.

25 years ago "Robocop" showed graphically (and amusingly) what a fecking insane idea privatisation of the police was... But I took it as a satire on capitalism generally ("See what the logical conclusion is"); now it's looking like a warning about what might actually happen.

I'm tempted to ask why nobody is up in arms about this... But then what am I doing? Standing by looking on passively in horror, with the sickening feeling there's absolutely nothing I can do to avoid the hell we are careering towards.

What difference does it make? Totalitarian government oppression on the one hand, rule by zombie warlords on the other.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely is disconcerting. Read the comments on the link. Many others bothered too.
Snail

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's been warning signs about this sort of thing for years now. Not just police, but the fire service too. This country's turning into a bad cyber-punk novel were everything's privatised. Who needs Nostradamus when you have Neal Stephenson and the Snow Crash bible.

I think this sort of dystopian future is very likely.

Ludwig:
Quote:

Standing by looking on passively in horror, with the sickening feeling there's absolutely nothing I can do to avoid the hell we are careering towards.

The only thing people can do is ensuring enough flexibility in their lives to leave this country before it gets too bad IMO. The path of this country is becoming very clear.
energy-village

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd argue these mass privatisations are happening all over the world.

Sooner or later all these different education, health service, police, military, prison firms are going to end up being owned by a few global corporations.

Imagine what power they will have!

The politicians and international organisations will be putty in their hands.
energy-village

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this makes a person wonder whether the global financial crisis - mostly emanating from Anglo-Saxon banks - was quite the unfortunate accident we are being told it was.
Ludwig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:
I'd argue these mass privatisations are happening all over the world.

Sooner or later all these different education, health service, police, military, prison firms are going to end up being owned by a few global corporations.

Imagine what power they will have!

The politicians and international organisations will be putty in their hands.

I agree with everything you write, except your use of the future tense.

If you read around a bit, it would seem that the corporations, politicians and international organisations have been multiple tentacles of the same organism for a long, long time.

There is no major organisation in the world that is not compromised or corrupted by its influence.

Democracy and affluence, far from being the inevitable products of enlightened thinking, were merely things that were allowed to happen as steps towards an ultimate goal.

Maybe this is all nonsense but if it isn't, we'll know soon, I think.
energy-village

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You use the term 'same organism', I don't think we are there yet.

To my mind various entities are under attack, which implies there must still be opposition. To name only some - the Euro, various nation states and the nation state itself, are all under the flame thrower.
Ludwig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:
All this makes a person wonder whether the global financial crisis - mostly emanating from Anglo-Saxon banks - was quite the unfortunate accident we are being told it was.

Yes. I used to think that maybe it was, that it was just a case of greed making people short-sighted and stupid. On the lower levels - e.g. that of the average city banker - this is no doubt true. But those people are merely players of the game, they don't define its rules: those rules are decided much, much higher up the ladder, by people with a twisted wisdom that is commensurate with their greed.

"Nothing in politics happens by accident. If something happens, you can bet it was planned that way." - Roosevelt

"The world is governed by very different personages from what is imagined by those who are not behind the scenes." - Disraeli

I don't think one can form a view of the world without taking these apparently throwaway comments seriously.

Last edited by Ludwig on Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Ludwig

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:

To my mind various entities are under attack, which implies there must still be opposition. To name only some - the Euro, various nation states and the nation state itself, are all under the flame thrower.

I'm inclined to think the whole dollar/euro battle is a charade. It's perfectly evident that (at least these days) the left/right bunfights in western nations are largely staged; I don't see why that shouldn't be the case on the international level too.
frank_begbie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:

I've thought that almost from the beginning.

Since reading The Shock Doctrine my views on most things have changed.
hodson2k9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

energy-village wrote:

+1 all part of the PTB's plans.
hodson2k9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

If you read around a bit, it would seem that the corporations, politicians and international organisations have been multiple tentacles of the same organism for a long, long time.

There is no major organisation in the world that is not compromised or corrupted by its influence.

Spot on ludwig.

Energy village wrote:

"imagine the power they will have"

You should remove the will.
hodson2k9

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ludwig wrote:
energy-village wrote:

I'm inclined to think the whole dollar/euro battle is a charade. It's perfectly evident that (at least these days) the left/right bunfights in western nations are largely staged; I don't see why that shouldn't be the case on the international level too.

Euro/dollar it dont matter as the fed/ecb (and thus most banks) all part of the same game.
maudibe

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know of anything constructive to add to this apart from "ohmygod", which in it's self is not very constructive!

However, hopefully enough people will go "ohmygod" and something may be said in opposition.
?

Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: