PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Could the future for UK biofuel be oilseed rape and hemp?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Could the future for UK biofuel be oilseed rape and hemp? Reply with quote

Quote:
Times OnLine - 03/03/10

Intensive agricultural practice of any sort rarely uses less fossil fuel energy than the solar energy that it conserves as biomass.

Article continues ...
woodburner

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't see the article. Probably have to subscribe, so I am excluded. I hope people stop this dumb idea that it's ok to use food crops to run vehicles and heat houses. People will have to change their lifestyle. Tough.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I shall not contribute to Murdoch's funds. He can go whistle! I shan't be buying the News of the World by Another Name either, not that I ever bought the old one.

When people start getting hungry they might stop putting food into cars. Until then it must be BAU.

It is very, very, very serious indeed. This is the big one!" Professor Tim Lang, APPGOPO, 25/03/08. And he was talking about food, not oil or the economy!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see no harm in the small scale use of oil seed rape as fuel, especialy for agricultural machinery or essiential purposes.
Is growing a modest amount of OSR to "feed" a tractor any worse than growing oats to feed a horse ?
It might be preferable if one remembers that a horse needs feeding daily, but a tractor only consumes fuel whilst working.

Large scale use though, no way ! too much land taken up that is needed or will be needed to grow food.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
I see no harm in the small scale use of oil seed rape as fuel, especialy for agricultural machinery or essiential purposes.
Is growing a modest amount of OSR to "feed" a tractor any worse than growing oats to feed a horse ?
It might be preferable if one remembers that a horse needs feeding daily, but a tractor only consumes fuel whilst working.

Large scale use though, no way ! too much land taken up that is needed or will be needed to grow food.

The way OSR is grown at present needs a lot of fossil fuel derived fertiliser. In growing and harvesting and processing the OSR, the net energy gain is less than 1.5:1. And it was grown using a subsidy to begin with so I wonder where the benefit is. A horse energy demand is small compared to a tractor, and it does provide nutrient when it pegs out.

The current UK flock of horses for play are not much benefit IMO. They are taking up significant amounts of land for grazing, hay production (fossil fuels again) and then many get incinerated when they peg out (more fossil fuel since Margaret Beckett presided over a decision that it was unacceptable to use the animal fats to fuel the incinerators. The fats have to be processed as controlled waste. Clever huh?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: