PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Biofuels goals 'may lead to food shortages'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aurora

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject: Biofuels goals 'may lead to food shortages' Reply with quote

Quote:
SciDev.net - 21/05/12

Parts of the developing world, particularly India and countries in Sub-Saharan Africa, will suffer food shortages if their planned biofuels targets are implemented by 2020, a study has warned.

The study, which looked at 25 countries and geographical regions, including Latin American and the Caribbean, Sub-Saharan Africa and the United States, found that the targets will also affect national wealth.

"Our results suggest that the impacts would be significant in developing countries like India and Sub-Saharan Africa," the researchers, based in Ethiopia, Italy and the United States, wrote in the May issue of Agricultural Economics.

Article continues ...

Rolling Eyes Evil or Very Mad Madness. Absolute madness.
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked that one out years ago, but does anyone listen? No, they think they're being green, or saving the planet, or some other daft notion by buying bio-fuels. I hope they starve, then the third world might be able to eat. Evil or Very Mad
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the penny dropped for me when I saw, in about 2006, a friend of mine from the CAT filling up his biofuel-adapted ride with a large bottle of corn oil bought from the local supermarket. Back-of-the-envelope calculations confirmed my fears: 60 million people on 60 million acres, a stretch, but possible. 60 million people AND 30 million cars...no way.

But with this kind o'thing, what's important is not what's being said, but who's saying it. If these are just academics, then we can carry on panicking. If it's somebody's government, then we might get somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: