PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Royal Society on tidal power

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wave & Tidal Power
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Royal Society on tidal power Reply with quote

The Royal Society has produced a report with a dozen papers on tidal power. Full papers are behind a paywall (of course Sad ) but abstracts are here:

http://rsta.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/371/1985

and there's a BBC report here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20983645
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tidal power could indeed generate a significant proportion of our electricity demand.
The output is variable, but unlike with wind power, the output may be calculated far in advance.

The problems are not technical but are planning/NIMBY related.
JavaScriptDonkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David MacKay has been touting tidal power for some time and examines it in depth.

In the light of the 15GW potential of the Severn Outer Barrage then I think the NIMBYs can be ignored.

I favour sea bed mounted venturi units.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given that much of the sea shore along the Severn Estuary is a SAC to try to put a barrage there would entail a visit, probably unsuccessful for the UK, to the European court. The other devices shown above would thus be the best way forward. I think that a number of the Venturi units would be the best option as they look the safest to me. I would have thought that they would also be the most efficient as they concentrate the flow. Probably more expensive though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wave & Tidal Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: