PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New concept or perpetual motion machine?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: New concept or perpetual motion machine? Reply with quote

http://www.saphonenergy.com/site/en/tests-and-results.64.html

Everything in me screams investment scam.

I would love to be wrong.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: New concept or perpetual motion machine? Reply with quote

RalphW wrote:
http://www.saphonenergy.com/site/en/tests-and-results.64.html

Everything in me screams investment scam.

I would love to be wrong.
i think it might be bollcks, though this is only on gut instinct.

If we assume that the wind is hitting a part of that dish more than another part, then one might ordinarily expect the dish to simply be pushed into a given more or less static position. However, that dish appears to be oscillating. That being the case, this would suggest that the wind hitting is setting up some kind of reciprocal vibrational effect. Thus, as one part of the dish moves forward in response to the wind hitting another part, this must mean that the part moving forwards into the wind is having to consume energy to do that. In other words, the energy coming from the wind that is pushing one part of the dish back away from the wind is then being used up to power the other part of the dish moving forward into the wind. In which case, there is going to be bugger all energy left over to be converted to electricity. Or, at least far less than when the energy gained from the wind is used entirely to drive a shaft to produce electricity as is the case with a normal turbine, even taking into account the inefficient harvesting of wind done by a normal wind turbine.

What I am trying to say is that the blades on a normal wind turbine are all moving in a direction that is in keeping with the wind direction whereas for every part of that dish that is moving in a direction that is in keeping with the wind, there is another part that is doing precisely the opposite and this opposing direction of movement will require an amount of energy precisely equivalent to that which has been harvested by the other part of the dish.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very doubtful suggest keeping ones wallet tightly shut.

The invention may well work to a degree but is most unlikely to surpass conventional wind turbines as these have now reached a good state of development and may be considered mature technology.

Future advances in windpower are likely to be towards reducing costs by mass production, rather than any new principle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Wind Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: