PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

roofing advice required - SolarTwin DHW panel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:42 am    Post subject: roofing advice required - SolarTwin DHW panel Reply with quote

Hi guys

We're having the roof re-slated fairly soon. The existing SolarTwin will naturally have to come off for the duration and I was hoping to inset it into the new slate using a flashing kt*, so it's more insulated, is confidently leak-proof and doesn't protrude as much.

However, SolarTwin (the company) went into liquidations some years ago and the agency now running it cannot provide a flashing kt (or 'in-roof mounting kt' as they call it). Very strange, to be selling solar panels without the option of a flashing kt but there you go.

I'm no roofer so what do you highly-experienced builders out there suggest? I'd rather not have the panel sitting over the slate. Can it be inset and sealed easily with non-proprietary parts?

* Hah! Found a way of getting round the 'DODGY' annoyance - put an accent on the 'i' in 'kt' (it doesn't work for the word for food preparation room).
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2015 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just saw on the agency's website (GenFit) the wording that SolarTwin is mounted on-roof 'as standard'. That partially explains why they can't supply a flashing kt now.

It wasn't so when I bought the panel originally - indeed it passed through my mind to buy the flashing kt offered at the time (2008), even though I didn't need it. I wish I had. Crying or Very sad

The roofer has installed Velux roof windows many times; maybe he will be able to come up with something similar for the panel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Solar Power All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: