PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How much do you pay for delivered firewood?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass
View previous topic :: View next topic  

How much do you pay for 1 cubic metre of delivered firewood?
I collect it myself
52%
 52%  [ 12 ]
less than £10
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
£10-20
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
£20-30
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
£30-40
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
£40-50
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
£50-60
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
£60-70
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
£70-80
8%
 8%  [ 2 ]
more than £80
4%
 4%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 23

kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 0.5 tonne, if it's dry, I would think. depends what wood it is as well.
ujoni08

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So quite expensive, for what I'm getting.

BTW, just reading your contribution to the thread on looming gas and electricity price rises, Ken, and in particular the comments about stocking up with wood. I'd like to do that too. At the moment, I have cut and split logs delivered, but to supplement this I was wondering about the law and recovering fallen branches etc. in the woods. Can you summarise it for me if you know?
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The law says, it's ok if nobody sees you Very Happy
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ujoni08 wrote:
...... At the moment, I have cut and split logs delivered, but to supplement this I was wondering about the law and recovering fallen branches etc. in the woods. Can you summarise it for me if you know?

I usually only collect wood from the local common from where I was given permission to take wood by the land owner, I'm not sure about collecting wood elsewhere but I would think that you need the landowners permission as my friend has in the case of the ash trees.

As Candy says, if you were only taking a branch at a time when walking the dog and no one saw you you would probably get away with it.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erm...how does "the local common" have a landowner?.. Not that I'm confused or anything.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All commons are owned by someone but are subject to certain rights granted to people who live on or around the common who registered those rights under the Commons Registration Act of 1965. The landowner has the rights to all the product of the land that the commoners don't use.
cubes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if you take a fallen branch you've 'used' the product of the land and therefore don't need permission?
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
So, if you take a fallen branch you've 'used' the product of the land and therefore don't need permission?

If you're a commoner, that is someone who's house has commoners' rights registered with the local authority.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suffering from a mild outbreak of general doom, I have been stocking up on firewood.
I have just paid £80 each for two loads of oak, delivered and tipped. I would estimated each load as a bit more than a cubic meter.

Looks to be excellent quality, and in ideal size pieces for a small stove.
snow hope

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Suffering from a mild outbreak of general doom, I have been stocking up on firewood.
I have just paid £80 each for two loads of oak, delivered and tipped. I would estimated each load as a bit more than a cubic meter.

Looks to be excellent quality, and in ideal size pieces for a small stove.

I have managed to nearly fully replenish my 5 woodstackers - enough to do me through a cold winter, so I am good for 12 months anyway. Smile

I collect/cut it all myself with only manual tools and as well as helping my general fitness, it makes me feel damn good. Smile
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work up my own.

Delivered prices here are around $225 for split green hardwood About $60/ M^3 if you run the conversions. Dry wood delivered into the college towns in winter can go for $350 / cord or 128 cubic feet well stacked.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Class beard Smile
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently obtained a medium size tipper truck full of unseasoned oak for £70.
Two large oaks were recently taken down for building timber, and I have got all the small or odd shaped pieces for firewood. Mainly small branches cut into short lengths but not split.
It will need at least one summer of drying in a warm shed, two would be better.

At present I am mainly burning large softwood logs purchased from the local sawmill some time ago. These did not burn well when first obtained, presumably not as seasoned as was claimed ! Fine after storing though.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2015 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can collect virtually as much softwood with some hardwood mixed in as I want for nothing but I have to cut it to final length and split it myself. I have a 3.5 tonne gross vehicle weight tipping trailer (2.35t capacity), a petrol driven log splitter and a daughter and son in law to help so the work involved is not too onerous!

I have covered, ventilated storage for about 35 - 40 cu m of split wood and a big tarpaulin, a curtain side from an artic, for uncut wood and we burn about three trailer loads per year between the two households although we burn a lot more than our daughter does. She has a much smaller and better insulated house.

We've got about 11 cu m of split wood for next year, 11 cu m of split dry seasoned wood for this year and another 11 cu m of dry, seasoned wood which we are about to split. I would say that if I get the unsplit wood cut before Christmas we will have enough cut for anything the weather can throw at us this year. If its mild again we will be virtually ready for next year as well. I've managed to triple our covered storage areas over the last year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Biofuels & Biomass All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: