PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Super-homes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future
View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Super-homes Reply with quote

Seen this one, Ken?
Quote:

The most energy efficient home in the study, whilst offering improved comfort, uses a staggering 86% less energy than the average home.

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Energy-Efficiency-Benchmarks-for-Superhomes-REPORT-160216.pdf

http://www.superhomes.org.uk/news/research-finds-superhomes-use-40-percent-less-energy/

Hat-tip Andrea Leadsom MP (A Tory!)
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you recall the thread here some years ago which detailed a new build house? The owners spent just 10% extra than on a standard house build and only used materials found in a standard builders' yard.

They reduced their household energy bills to something that most people would be jealous of and maybe think impossible without depriving themselves of comfort (I'd have to look for the thread to find out the actual figures).

I think it was around the time the government committed to only building 'zero-carbon homes' from 2016 onwards and then, as is the wont of fcking politicians, reneged on their commitment.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't actually seen the study, Biff, but two of my designs are on their database. Go to - http://www.superhomes.org.uk/get-inspired/superhome-locator/

and see

Lewes, Sheepfair - 88%

and

Winchester, Colden Common, Piping Close - 86%
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Do you recall the thread here some years ago which detailed a new build house? The owners spent just 10% extra than on a standard house build and only used materials found in a standard builders' yard.

They reduced their household energy bills to something that most people would be jealous of and maybe think impossible without depriving themselves of comfort (I'd have to look for the thread to find out the actual figures).

I think it was around the time the government committed to only building 'zero-carbon homes' from 2016 onwards and then, as is the wont of fcking politicians, reneged on their commitment.

It's been possible for at least ten years to build a virtually zero carbon house using only the materials found in a standard builders merchants. It is now much easier because there are new techniques which make it easier to make a house airtight and build with wide insulated cavities. There are also fixings so that you can build a solid wall and fix insulation to the outside before rendering it. Only the national house builders, their designers and the politicians that they pay are unaware of this fact so we have a cancellation of the policy for zero carbon homes for this year.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Living in the Future All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: