PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Space transport

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:24 am    Post subject: Space transport Reply with quote

Another resupply rocket to the international space station explodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-33305083

That's the second delivery failure in a row

http://www.theguardian.com/science/2015/may/07/russias-progress-spacecraft-set-to-crash-to-earth-within-24-hours

How many more before the ISS has to be left unmanned?
3rdRock

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delivery failure? They should have used Ocado! Laughing
fuzzy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of technical failures in the 21st C in systems that should have improved since Apollo, not regressed. Planes, trains, rockets etc. How many of these are sabotage/cyberwar?
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not cyberwar. It is simply diminishing returns on complexity of systems.

Modern hardware like space rockets or cars have so many parts made of so many different materials and engineered to such high tolerances to minimise weight and cost, that the overall construction is being less reliable even as the individual components become orders of magnitude more reliable.

The Kalashnikov machine gun is one of the most successful designs of all time because it is so simple and fault tolerant.

The recent crash of an A400M transport , killing all 8 people on board, was because of a software initialisation error, where engine calibration files for 3 of the 4 engines were accidentally deleted from the on board computers. The error was not apparent untill high thrust was demanded from the engines and they went into automatic 'safe mode' when the control program couldn't find the files, cutting power to protect the engines from possible damage, and ensuring their complete destruction instead.

I had a similar (less harmful) incident with my car, where the automatic brake system cut in, and nearly propelling my daughter (I hadn't checked her seat belt) through the windscreen when I braked briefly to miss an incompetent cyclist. Daughter hit the screen hand first and created a 20cm star fracture in the glass.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
It is not cyberwar. It is simply diminishing returns on complexity of systems.

Modern hardware like space rockets or cars have so many parts made of so many different materials and engineered to such high tolerances to minimise weight and cost, that the overall construction is being less reliable even as the individual components become orders of magnitude more reliable....
Now doesn't that sound like the perfect description of the problem with modern industrial society.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The old equation: resilience is in inverse proportion to efficiency.
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty cool:

http://www.businessinsider.com/spacex-just-launched-rocket-2016-4
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Technically it's pretty amazing. I was watching the live video feed and the excitement at the space centre was amazing. Also worth looking back at videos of the previous crash landings.

So this kind of technology is likely to significantly reduce the cost of launching things into space... I'm not wholly convinced that's actually a good thing though!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: