PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Carpets
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
biffvernon

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that advert should be referred to the Advertising Standards Authority.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
biffvernon wrote:
Carpets are good but they must be of wool only.
Why?

It is already debatable whether wool and cotton textiles for clothing are any greener or, even, as green as, say polyester for the same purpose (in terms of the total carbon footprint, including production, maintenance and end of life recycling, especially if the wool comes from a mass produced industrial farming source. Which, of course, it would need to if everyone was to choose 100% wool/cotton garments.

Sorry for dragging up a post from four pages ago .
I was wondering how wool insulation fits into that debate , the stuff used for insulating houses as opposed to glass fibre. I recall seeing a programme that showed the process of turning old bottles into loft insulation but it did seem to involve a huge amount of energy , heat , to make that conversion. How that compares to producing slabs of wool would be interesting to know.
About a decade ago I was involved in the restoration of the roof and dome of Stowe house in Buckinghamshire and that was insulated with slabs of Irish wool. Presumably there is some processing although the wool still smells distinctly of lanolin . It's much nicer to fit although a pain to cut , one guy falling asleep happily in the roof. However , a couple of years later there was an infestation of moths and the wool was eventually ripped out and replaced with fibre glass
biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:

Sorry for dragging up a post from four pages ago .
I was wondering how wool insulation fits into that debate , the stuff used for insulating houses as opposed to glass fibre. I recall seeing a programme that showed the process of turning old bottles into loft insulation but it did seem to involve a huge amount of energy , heat , to make that conversion. How that compares to producing slabs of wool would be interesting to know.
About a decade ago I was involved in the restoration of the roof and dome of Stowe house in Buckinghamshire and that was insulated with slabs of Irish wool. Presumably there is some processing although the wool still smells distinctly of lanolin . It's much nicer to fit although a pain to cut , one guy falling asleep happily in the roof. However , a couple of years later there was an infestation of moths and the wool was eventually ripped out and replaced with fibre glass

The wool insulation that I've used, branded Thermafleece http://www.thermafleece.com/ comes from Cumbrian Herdwick sheep. It's a fairly coarse wool so not much use for fine lingerie and, sadly, so many people buy plastic carpets that the wool price dropped to next to nothing for this carpet quality. It's treated with borax to prevent moths.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A large number of posts that had little to do with carpets have been split from this thread.
Please try to stay on topic.
The moved posts may be found here
http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26049

Where the discussion on the merits or otherwise of different foodstuffs may be continued if desired.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just washed, in the bath, the 2 long woven rugs from the hallway of Chateau Renewable.

The 'washing' process consisted of soaking them in water with detergent and soda-crystals in. And then in 1 more lot of clean water.

They look a lot better now and have, in the meantime, protected the wooden floor beneath. They cost about a tenner each, and they've been there for ten years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: