PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asda checkout problems

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisdevie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:09 pm    Post subject: Asda checkout problems Reply with quote

Card readers aren't working. Just another example of why you should always carry some cash. Rely on a system and then when it fails to work you're in deep poop.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By and large, I only use cash. I withdraw all the cash I need at the start of the month. My main issue is that a number of shops can get quite arsey about paying in cash without having to hand over personal details. These tend to be DIY stores I use a lot like BnQ and Screwfix. Though, I have noticed in recent months, presumably on the back of reduced sales due to the harsh economic circumstances, that they are less likely to give me a problem now.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although this particular problem affected only one supermarket chain and was rectified by the next day, it is illustrative of the growing reliance on electronic payments rather than cash.

For routine purchases, I always have with me sufficient cash, even if my intention is to pay by card.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF now has cash in the car as a result of my explaining the consequence of not having cash easily available just in case.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having cash in your pocket will probably not help much in a retail store during a power outage. Without power the clerks wont be able to tell what the price of an item is and they will not want to sell anything to you because the cash register automatically keeps track of the stores inventory as it records your sales. I saw this in a hardware store on one occasion. They could not bring themselves to break training and list sales on a pad of paper to enter into the computer later.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any business that in any way objects to cash or makes it difficult to pay cash would not get my money.

Apart from that, actually it'll be interesting to watch these businesses (banks, really) force cashlessness upon us.
stumuz1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I saw this in a hardware store on one occasion. They could not bring themselves to break training and list sales on a pad of paper to enter into the computer later.

Ha!
A similar situation happened not so long ago in my local Spar (mini supermarket type thing)

Standing in the queue wanting to pay for a baguette. Their tills stop working because their 'system' has gone down.

My baguette cost 99p, so I proffer a one pound coin and generously tell the assistant to keep the change.

Assistant says i cannot do that as they need to scan the baguette. I therefore rip off the barcode label and hand the pound and the label to the assistant.

Assistant says i cannot do that as there is a chance that the label won't work unless it is attached to something flat. Hmm i thought.

I then held the baguette, Bar code label, and one pound coin up to the CCTV camera above the till and told the camera that i was leaving the money and label and then walked out with the baguette.

Unbelievable!

If there is ever a prolonged power cut a lot of people will see their tiny little world fall to pieces.

Having 3 months food in the pantry/freezer is definitely a good idea.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh. Good one. Time to make your own bread, I think. Laughing
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is illegal for anyone to refuse to take the coin of the realm in payment for goods although there is a legal maximum for actual coinage. Paper money should then be taken. Anyone else heard this?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
I think it is illegal for anyone to refuse to take the coin of the realm in payment for goods although there is a legal maximum for actual coinage. Paper money should then be taken. Anyone else heard this?

I think that you are correct in the case of paying a debt, if you owe money to a person or company, they are legally required to accept UK banknotes, and up to a certain limit, UK coins.

In the case of buying goods, as distinct from settling an already existing debt, the position is less clear.
If the retailer agrees to make the sale, then I believe that they must accept your cash, HOWEVER the retailer is NOT obliged to make the sale. They can refuse to serve anyone (provided that they do not discriminate on race, religion, gender etc.) And likewise a retailer can shut up shop without notice, and thereby in effect refuse to make any sales.

So a retailer that accepts electronic payments only for sales, is not IMO in breach of the law.
If however you already owed money to said retailer, then I believe that they are obliged to accept cash if offered as payment for the debt.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:

US federal reserve notes (paper bills) all have "This note is legal tender for all debts public and private" printed on the front face.
That pretty much explains it.
cubes

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as Adam2 said, there's no obligation for them to sell to you, just an offer that they can withdraw anytime up to the point you finish paying for it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: