PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Gravity water filters.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Gravity water filters. Reply with quote

A useful prep for home use.
These consist of an upper chamber to be manually filled with suspect water, which slowly passes through one or more ceramic filter "candles" and drips into the lower chamber from which it may be drawn of by a tap.

I have recently purchased one of these

https://www.safariquip.co.uk/all-categories/water-purification/british-berkefeld-ss2-water-filter/

I have no connection with either the maker the vendor of the product.

The merits of this type of water treatment include simplicity and no reliance on electric or other power.
It is claimed that virtually all disease causing organisms are removed together with suspended contamination.
Dissolved minerals are not removed.
I would expect that most radioactive fallout would consist of solid particles and be therefore removed.

The filter "candles" are said to last about 6 months, spares are readily available whilst times are normal, but might not be available in a future emergency, so some spares would be prudent.

I have a large reserve of water, but would not consider it suitable for drinking without treatment.
I am concerned not just about TEOTWAWKI, but also any interruption to the household water supply due to drought, breakdown, or flooding.

In extreme circumstances one could chlorinate the filtered water for double reassurance, but I see no need under most circumstances.
woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it does not remove dissolved minerals, there will be other dissolved chemicals that may not be minerals. In that case use for drinking in the UK should only be from rain water, unless the water is from a mountain stream preferably above glyphosate spraying level.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The filters used are said to remove some hydrocarbon and similar contamination but wont remove most natural minerals such iron salts or calcium carbonate.

My likely sources of rainwater are tap water that is unfit for drinking due to breakdown at the treatment works, or stored rainwater.
Another possibility would be any emergency water distributed by TPTB in case of failure of the normal supply. Boiling such water is normally advised, and IMHO a ceramic filter gives similar protection to boiling but consumes no fuel and is less trouble.
I have 2 water buts and an IBC but do not consider the water obtained thus to be fit for drinking. Contains leaves and bird droppings and who knows what else, and in time of war perhaps other nasties.

Unused filter candles are said to store indefinitely if unused, unlike chlorine tables which only keep a few years.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought something different but does the sam thing but will have a look at this also. I got something like a disposable water bottle in appearance but you unscrew the bottom and fill it from there and then close up and pump the bottler and the purified water comes out the top.

Very useful when working in Egypt. If I brushed my teeth from the tap directly then I got diarrhoea but with this I did not. Also light enough to carry about. Made in the UK also.
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting diarrhoea there must be some toxin involved. Large (huge) doses of vitamin C are recommended. I can post a link if interested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: