PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grid Cyberattack risk
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little John

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is far more security-conscious, as a baseline, and one has to take overt actions to lessen that security. That baseline involves password protection for just about every damned action and full hard drive encryption. For most people, this is over the top and so it is possible to get hold of linux distros that have set the security levels a bit lower than it can be. But, the protocols are still there and higher level security can be reinstated in a moment.

To repeat, nothing is 100% secure. But, I can say with 100% confidence that Linux is significantly more secure than Windows.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:
I used Ubuntu for a while. Clunky but bulletproof. Now I use Apple except for work which gets updated almost everyday.

I wonder if the grid could use linux.

If a lot of users switched to linux would not the hackers begin to concentrate on linux? The only reason it is "safe" today is because it is a fringe market and not worth the hackers time.

No, that's not true. Linux (and Mac OS) are fundamentally more secure than than Windows irrespective of the interest of hackers.

Linux is certainly not a 'fringe market'. In fact I'd suggest a lot more 'interesting' stuff is running on Linux so all things being equal hackers are a lot more interested in compromising Linux than Windows! The Internet runs on Linux, servers, routers, datacentres, supercomputers etc.
cubes

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:
I used Ubuntu for a while. Clunky but bulletproof. Now I use Apple except for work which gets updated almost everyday.

I wonder if the grid could use linux.

If a lot of users switched to linux would not the hackers begin to concentrate on linux? The only reason it is "safe" today is because it is a fringe market and not worth the hackers time.

Probably but things seem to get patched far quicker on linux ime. Can't say it's totally secure out of the box though and still needs tweaking to get the right balance between security and usability.

OpenBSD is an OS that concentrates on security, technically not linux as it's a BSD-based unix system.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like another cyber attack is under way.
Initial reports suggest that several overseas utilities are victims.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-40416611
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: