PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Neonicotinoid ban
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/jul/23/eu-suspends-ban-pesticides-linked-serious-harm-bees

Quote:
UK suspends ban on pesticides linked to serious harm in bees

Farmers allowed to use two neonicotinoid pesticides on their crop for 120 days despite concerns over serious risk to bees and other pollinators.

Hey farmer farmer
Put away that Modesto and Cruiser OSR now
Give me spots on my apples
But leave me the birds and the bees

Sad
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This needs to be added to the Conservative government watch thread.
3rdRock

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It makes me mad and sad in equal measure when I think about what these corporate ***** and their political lackeys are doing to this precious planet we all call home. Evil or Very Mad Sad
peaceful_life

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Friends of the Earth has taken the first legal steps towards striking out last week's emergency approval of bee-harming 'neonic' pesticides in England, granted last week despite a Europe-wide ban'....

"The huge public interest in bee decline and pesticide use contrasts with the Government's excessive secrecy and handling of this decision to let bee-harming pesticides back into our fields this autumn"

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/2966001/foe_acts_to_revoke_unlawful_beekiller_pesticide_permit.html
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petition:

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/save_the_bees_keep_the_ban_national/?tCAGOab
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long term study points to neonics causing half of bee decline

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37089385
Mark

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of testing for future pesticides a grave concern:
http://www.endsreport.com/article/53512/lack-of-testing-for-future-pesticides-a-grave-concern?DCMP=EMC-ENDSRPTBULLETIN&utm_medium=EMAIL&utm_campaign=eNews%20Bulletin&utm_source=20160816&utm_content=

Greater risk assessment on new pesticide legislation is needed to safeguard the future of wild pollinators such as insects, birds and mammals, researchers have said. A study, published in research journal Peer J on 9 August, highlights a new class of insecticides known as sulfoximines that are being increasingly used to combat rising resistance to neonicotinoids. It warns that little is known about the safety of these new chemicals, which resemble neonicotinoids in their mode of action.

A number of neonicotinoids are generally banned from use across the EU due to the risk of harm to bees, although the science behind the ban has proved controversial. Neonicotinoids have sub-lethal effects on wild pollinators but those of sulfoximines have not been studied, the study says. The rapid proliferation of a new systemic, neuroactive insecticide without sufficient testing for sub-lethal effects is a grave concern, particularly if new formulations such as seed treatments arise.

Those leading the EU-funded research a consortium of scientists, government researchers and NGOs led by the Royal Holloway University of London are calling for pesticide risk assessment and regulation to urgently incorporate the chronic and interactive impacts of future pesticides, as well as proper field trials, using a range of pollinator species. Early identification of such issues provides the opportunity to develop policies and practices to limit negative impacts, or to take advantage of potential positive impacts, the study says.

Other measures called for include greater adoption of integrated pest management plans to reduce pesticide use, minimising the extent of pesticide spray and drift through technological innovation, and further research into the impacts of nanoparticle pesticides. Nanoparticle pesticide use is rapidly expanding and this technology may evade existing pesticide regulatory processes.

On a wider level, the research set out to anticipate future threats and opportunities for pollinators through a process known as horizon scanning. Besides pesticides, five other high priority areas were identified: agricultural expansion, the effects of climate change, emerging viruses, new managed pollinators and reduced chemical use outside agriculture. Speaking about the influence of new insecticides, study co-author Lynn Dicks from the University of Cambridges Department of Zoology said future policy-making should look to identify environmental risks in advance before they become serious. Many of the pollinator issues we identified on the horizon can be responded to right now, for example by working with corporations already controlling large areas of agricultural land to develop pollinator management strategies, or by planning research on the sub-lethal effects of sulfoxaflor [a sulfoximine] before it is widely used, said Dicks.

The research was funded by the EUs Super-B project.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The worlds most widely used insecticides would be banned from all fields across Europe under draft regulations from the European commission

Not there yet; these things usually end up watered down. Already they're excluding neonicotinoid use in greenhouses (no doubt meaning the vast polytunnel acreages around Europe).

Quote:
Sarah Mukherjee, chief executive of the Crop Protection Association, which represents pesticide makers, said: We are disappointed with this [EC] proposal, which seems more of a political judgement than sound science.

And what Ms Mukherjee says is political judgement too! She's paid to say it by DuPont, Bayer, Dow, Syngenta, Monsanto, BASF and more.

Source
AutomaticEarth

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after all this time, the 'experts' have decided that these pesticides are harmful after all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40382086

One solution, according to some newspaper article mentioned on the breakfast show this morning, it to develop so-called 'nano-bees' that can do the jobs ordinary bees can do, so we can still use said pesticides....

Not the sort of topic I normally comment on, but really folks....how f****d are we if we're thinking like this? I don't mean members on this forum, of course.........
Little John

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...we're ****** alright.

The only remaining question is whether our societies completely collapse before the global eco system does.

I am an optimist and so I hope they do.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
Oh...we're ****** alright.

The only remaining question is whether our societies completely collapse before the global eco system does.

I am an optimist and so I hope they do.

So do I, probably more than you do.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutomaticEarth wrote:
So after all this time, the 'experts' have decided that these pesticides are harmful after all:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-40382086

One solution, according to some newspaper article mentioned on the breakfast show this morning, it to develop so-called 'nano-bees' that can do the jobs ordinary bees can do, so we can still use said pesticides....

Not the sort of topic I normally comment on, but really folks....how f****d are we if we're thinking like this? I don't mean members on this forum, of course.........

It doesen't stop the arsehole customers of B&Q buying Provado, a neonic compound which the B&Q idiots describe as "bee friendly". Anyone for a cup of friendly cyanide?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: