PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TTIP including TTP, CETA & TiSA
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Nicholas Stern in his book, Why Are We Waiting,

It's been on my reading list for some time; I must get it.

kenneal - lagger wrote:
pulls apart how conventional economic models treat CC and GW as they all treat the future as a linear progression of the past ignoring the catastrophes which will occur such as sea level rise and agricultural failures and the concomitant mass population movements. The modelling of these trade agreements makes similar ommissions in order to boost BAU.

Like your allusion to the stopping of the Gulf Stream, I'm convinced the only way to bludgeon politicians, economists and corporate earth-rapers into any action is with a good old-fashioned catastrophe which hits their pockets. No, more than that - which actually puts them out of business.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnhemming2 wrote:
kenneal - lagger wrote:
a linear progression of the past

The problem is that much of public debate is based upon this assumption.

Perhaps they should be educated then especially the people in power who should be leading the debate. My MP is not willing to lead the debate by telling people the truth because he thinks he will lose votes by doing so.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2017 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Like your allusion to the stopping of the Gulf Stream, I'm convinced the only way to bludgeon politicians, economists and corporate earth-rapers into any action is with a good old-fashioned catastrophe which hits their pockets. No, more than that - which actually puts them out of business.

The trouble is by the time we have such a catastrophe I fear we'll be too far down the hill to turn back and the first catastrophe will rapidly lead to the next.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
emordnilap wrote:

The trouble is by the time we have such a catastrophe I fear we'll be too far down the hill to turn back and the first catastrophe will rapidly lead to the next.

Bring it on then.
The human appears to have no idea what its ideal diet should be; has self-inflicted diet-related diseases; causes extensive environmental destruction through basic food production & creates pathogenic infestations that widely infect its food supply.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that we're on that slope now and the flow across the Med is only the start of what will arrive soon.

Population dieoff is on the way coming to a town near you soon.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
As I've said elsewhere we need to see what the new government cabinet looks like to see which direction Mrs May will be taking us. My MP has told me that he wouldn't support any treaty with ISDS in it but he has a record of 100% support for the government.

He'll support CETA - there's no "ISDS" clause in it. Laughing Laughing Laughing

It's called ICS instead, sorry k-l.

Despite the UK's vote to leave the EU, CETA may well be in place before the actual exit. And remember, more than half of American corporations have a base in Canada, so TTIP isn't really needed at this stage.

CETA has yet to be "ratified" but they ain't asking us to do that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16
Page 16 of 16

Jump to: