PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, but I still hope that if the USA are attacked, even with a nuke, that they will confine their response to only conventional weapons.

Use of even a few small tactical nukes is crossing a very dangerous line indeed.
"Doing a Dresden" on NK is IMHO far preferable to even the most limited nuclear retaliation, even if the loss of life is similar.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Use of even a few small tactical nukes is crossing a very dangerous line indeed.

Indeed, but I expect many in the military don't think that line is very sensible and would like the 100 ton weapons to be on the table in a way that 1 megaton weapons aren't.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The idea that we have a low yield nuclear devise that we could use without killing a large number of the civilian population while pressing home the point that some other countries program is a waste of time and money is nice to think about but as far as we civilians know is not in existence.
If they had one would they not have already have used it several times.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See this article from some 18 months ago. I think it's perfectly plausible that the US has a substantially sub-kiloton device ready and that some would like an opportunity to 'test' it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/science/as-us-modernizes-nuclear-weapons-smaller-leaves-some-uneasy.html
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
See this article from some 18 months ago. I think it's perfectly plausible that the US has a substantially sub-kiloton device ready and that some would like an opportunity to 'test' it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/12/science/as-us-modernizes-nuclear-weapons-smaller-leaves-some-uneasy.html

Oh weapons of that size range certainly exist, the problem is how to use one without risking escalation.
There was a joke back during the Korean war.
"The government has announced that they have developed a nuclear hand grenade. It blows a hole 150 feet wide and seventy feet deep. The average GI can throw it fifty feet".
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The escalation risk was, historically, why tactical weapons were seen as so dangerous and so lumped in with strategic. But I think that's out of date, cold war thinking. I don't see much escalation risk associated with their use against North Korea.

I'm not advocating their use, I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if a small number of sub-kiloton nuclear weapons were used in the next 12 months.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
I'm just saying I wouldn't be surprised if a small number of sub-kiloton nuclear weapons were used in the next 12 months.

I must sadly and nervously agree with you on that.
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moon of Alabama: Hyping North Korean Threat to Relaunch Star Wars?

Quote:
The Reagan wannabe currently ruling in the White House may soon revive Reagan's Strategic Defense Initiative, aka "Star Wars", which was first launched in 1984. SDI was the expensive but unrealistic dream of lasers in space and other such gimmicks. Within the SDI the U.S. military threw out hundreds of billions for a Global Ballistic Missile Defense which supposedly would defend the continental U.S. from any incoming intercontinental missile. The program was buried in the early 1990s. One son of Star Wars survived. It is the National Missile Defense with 40 interceptors in Alaska and California. It has never worked well and likely never will. If NMD would function as promised there would be no reason to fear any North Korean ICBMs. Missile defense is largely a fraud to transfers billions of dollars from U.S. taxpayers to various weapon producing conglomerates.

I expect that the North Korean "threat" will soon be used to launch "SDI - The Sequel", another attempt to militarize space with billions thrown into futuristic but useless "defense" projects. It will soothe the Pentagon's grief over the success North Korea had despite decades of U.S. attempts to subjugate that state.

The threat posed to the Lower 48 has been hyped up well beyond any semblance of reality.

A lot of this bluster has been caused by Trump's bluff being called earlier this year when he stated that the USS Carl Vinson was steaming to the Korean peninsula when, in fact, it was actually in Indonesian waters.

The threat of North Korean missile tests landing off the coast of Guam is another calling of the US bluff. That is all.

The Military Industrial Complex wants some more dosh to make more nice shiny missile systems that give the false illusion that US service personnel can be kept safe in theatres of "operations"
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Missile defense is largely a fraud to transfers billions of dollars from U.S. taxpayers to various weapon producing conglomerates."

And the rest of the world. And planned obsolescence is their corporate ethos. Plus any weaponry actually used needs to be replaced.

Thus killing = money printing.

I'd like to see all manufacturers of weaponry of any sort taxed at least 85% of gross profits, for a start.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK fires missile over Japan, the weapon crossed Japanese territory before landing in the sea.
Some reports suggest that the missile was large enough to carry a nuclear weapon.
Air raid sirens warned Japanese citizens to seek shelter.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41078187
fuzzy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They seem to have plenty of weapons to waste. I wonder if some country supplies them fully built? China, USA etc?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest bomb test by NK claimed to have been a hydrogen (fusion) bomb, most experts are a bit doubtful of that claim, but the strength of the earth tremor resulting from the test certainly suggests a much larger fission bomb than has previously been tested.
NK claim that the latest bomb is small enough to fit onto a long range missile.
Most worrying IMHO.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-41139445
cubes

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the news you want to hear.

I fear that there'll the politicians (and trump) will back themselves into a corner and leave themselves no option but military action. If that happens then, if what NK says is true, you can expect there to be one less city on the US western seaboard imo. However, retaliating on NK with nukes seems rather pointless and will only kill thousands more innocent people.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cubes wrote:
Not the news you want to hear.

I fear that there'll the politicians (and trump) will back themselves into a corner and leave themselves no option but military action. If that happens then, if what NK says is true, you can expect there to be one less city on the US western seaboard imo. However, retaliating on NK with nukes seems rather pointless and will only kill thousands more innocent people.
on top of the 7 million already killed by the yanks in the 1950's as well as the survivors being bombed back to the stone age. The North Koreans have not forgotten, even if we have had our cultural memory of that genocide erased.
oobers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/sep/04/china-what-can-beijing-do-about-north-korea-donald-trump-kim-jong-un

Quote:
the pipeline delivering oil to North Korea is old and would corrode and break if left unused

Is there any truth in that statement? Wouldn't an old pipeline likely corrode and break with oil flowing in it too?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: