PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

GM foods story in papers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raspberry-blower wrote:
Soil Association: Failed Promises: The rise and fall of GM cotton in India

Hyped up as being able to increase yields, reduce costs and be able to withstand pests. In reality the inverse is true - declining yields, costs increased threefold and the Red Queen is in full flow. Pests have rapidly evolved.

No wonder they are switching back to organic. But has the damage been done already?

The GM industry was never about producing crops.
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soil Association is a bit two faced, at one time I understand they permitted the use of glyphosate.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was Glyphosate, I think it was BT (bacillus thur-summat, in the actual plants rather than put on the soil). Until they discovered how toxic it was to things (iirc) that ate the plants.
woodburner

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I could have got that wrong, but there's much else that needs studying

More
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like that article at all. I think that I could go through it and do quite a bit of counter myth busting myself. Yes there are bits that are true but there are also a lot of half truths in it.

The UN has come out and said that the future of feeding the world is in small scale organic farming, i.e. gardening, where the yeilds per acre are much higher than large scale organic farming and even large scale conventional farming.

It definitely does support the idea of knowing where your food comes from though which is the best thing about the article.

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
emordnilap

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
It definitely does support the idea of knowing where your food comes from though which is the best thing about the article.

Our regional organic growers seem to be good at co-ordinating their crop distribution, meaning each grower can concentrate on what s/he's good at.

It means that our local farmers' market has growers that sell, say, salad crops from 20 kilometres away and spuds from 80 kilometres away or vice versa, depending.

The customer knows the sources of their food whilst spreading the benefit of their money.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copied from the Neonic ban petition thread

New Groundbreaking Research Shows Glyphosate Persists in Soil.

So Monsanto has been lying to us all along. Surprise! Surprise!

"When the last tree is cut down, and the last river has been poisoned, and the last fish has been caught, Only then will you find out that you cannot eat money". --The Cree Indians
woodburner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2017 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possible one of the effects of pesticides

Quote:
"The fact that flying insects are decreasing at such a high rate in such a large area is an alarming discovery,” he said. “As entire ecosystems are dependent on insects for food and as pollinators, it places the decline of insect eating birds and mammals in a new context. We can barely imagine what would happen if this downward trend continues unabated.”

Anyone who drove a car in the summers during the 1970s should remember the amount of insects that stuck to the front, and the number of moths there were about showing up in headlights. Now there's hardly any insects to clean off, and very few moths to be seen.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woodburner wrote:
Possible one of the effects of pesticides

Quote:
"The fact that flying insects are decreasing at such a high rate in such a large area is an alarming discovery,” he said. “As entire ecosystems are dependent on insects for food and as pollinators, it places the decline of insect eating birds and mammals in a new context. We can barely imagine what would happen if this downward trend continues unabated.”

Anyone who drove a car in the summers during the 1970s should remember the amount of insects that stuck to the front, and the number of moths there were about showing up in headlights. Now there's hardly any insects to clean off, and very few moths to be seen.

Yes, I've linked to the Guardian version of the story elsewhere here.

We are still fairly insect-rich where we are (the west of Ireland). Farmers are not big pesticide users here, though one neighbouring farmer does spray certain dock-infested fields. They're trying to keep up the idea of Irish produce being 'pure' in some way, despite the quite high levels of fertiliser they spread.

A lot of slurry is spread in addition to fertiliser, as much to actually dispose of it as anything, it's a pain to deal with otherwise. There will be antibiotics and other chemicals in the slurry.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22
Page 22 of 22

Jump to: