PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Organic Bhutan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good advert for Bhutan

Quote:
Bhutan is already the worlds only carbon-negative country. According to recent figures, Bhutan emits around 1.5 million tonnes of carbon annually, while its forests absorb over 6 million tonnes.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhutan (and others) following Ireland's lead

Quote:
March 29 (2014) marked the 10-year anniversary of a workplace smoking ban in Ireland, extending to pubs and restaurants. Ireland was the first country worldwide to enact such a sweeping ban. The initiative made smoking in enclosed workplaces illegal, punishable by a fine of up to 3,000 euros, or about $4,200.

The ban has spawned copycat laws across the globe. Norway and New Zealand followed that same year, as did Uganda. Now, dozens of countries from Brazil to Bhutan have joined Ireland in creating a nationwide workplace smoking ban -- the United States not among them. Russia will join the list in June.

RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(...) Russia will join the list in June.

I Predict A Riot...
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Small-scale farmers on two continents from Yunnan in China and from Bhutan and Peru − are now working together to help their communities to adapt to the impacts of a hotter world.

Quote:
Swiderska said Peru, Bhutan and China shared similar basic cultural values and traditional farming systems. The three countries also had been involved because they are participating in the Mountain Communities Initiative (MCI) meeting in Bhutan on climate change impacts, in the last week of May.

Source
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teaching schoolchildren organic food growing

Bhutan is far from perfect, but this shows far greater enlightenment than in any of our 'superior' western cultures in respect to food.

Quote:
"I want to be a doctor when I grow up. But if all else fails, at least I know I can be a good farmer and make a living out of it," Yangzom says with a sparkle in her eyes.

RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Quote:
(...) Russia will join the list in June.

I Predict A Riot...

Oh dear. I hate being right...
emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happiest country on earth

Quote:
It was the first country in the world to incorporate environmental protection into its constitution and decree that the more than half the counrty to be covered by natural forest.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A six-minute promotional video of the country. Bhutan looks a bit heavy on the religion for me. Not that I'll ever get there.

Quote:
According to World Wildlife Fund:
1 Bhutan is one of the last countries in the world to introduce television to its people. The government lifted a ban on TV - and on the internet - 11 years ago.
2 Anyone found guilty of killing an endangered and culturally sacred black-necked crane could be sentenced to life in prison.
3 Bhutanese manners dictate that you are to refuse food whenever its offered to you. The tradition is to say the words meshu meshu and cover your mouth with your hands. You can give in, though, after two or three offers.
4 At 7 452m, Gangkhar Puensum is the highest point in Bhutan - and the highest unclimbed mountain in the world.
5 Bhutan is the only nation in the world where the sale of tobacco is banned.
6 Thimphu is one of just two capital cities in Asia that does not have a single traffic light. (The other is Pyongyang, North Korea). There was such public outcry when local officials installed a single signal that it was quickly removed, and a traffic officer was re-assigned to the intersection.
7 A third of Bhutans population is under the age of 14; its median age is 22.3 years.
8 Bhutan is the first country in the world with specific constitutional obligations on its people to protect the environment. Among its requirements: At least 60 percent of the nation must remain under forest cover at all times.
9 The word Bhutan translates to Land of the Thunder Dragon. It earned the nickname because of the fierce storms that often roll in from the Himalayas.
10 Bhutan is one of 43 landlocked countries in the world, Bhutan is about half the size of the state of Indiana.

emordnilap

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the worlds most unlikely climate heroes

Bhutan, Costa Rica (Biff!), Morocco, Ethiopia.

Quote:
Bhutan is deadly serious about their trees, going so far as to enshrine protection for them in the constitution, which promises a minimum of 60 per cent of the countrys landmass will remain as forest for perpetuity.

biffvernon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Costa Rica has already produced Christiana Figueres.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2017 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bhutan is getting there but still has blindspots

Smile
Quote:
Bhutan has become the first fully organic nation in the world. In fact, there is no multinational presence in the food line at all in Bhutan - no McDonalds, no Starbucks, no KFC.

Sad
Quote:
Hydropower has become Bhutan's number one export.

Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good article that emordnilap. To be honest , though , I'm in two minds about the conclusions. I can fully understand the resistance to the hydro power and the effect it has on Bhutan's rivers but on the other hand can see that the power it provides to India would more than likely be produced by coal fired stations if those exports weren't there.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are many reasons Bhutan is carbon negative. Aside from its protected forests, it has won world records for planting the most trees per hour, says Erin Levi, the author of the forthcoming Bradt Travel Guide to Bhutan.

Source

Sounds like a cool place to visit...though seat61.com doesn't mention Bhutan afaics.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ResponsAbility is worth looking at if you've a chunk of money to invest. They finance all sorts of green ventures, from hazelnuts in Bhutan to organic rice in Cambodia to micro generation in Namibia.

As indicated in Ethical Consumer magazine, 'ethical' funds generally seem to do very well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> News All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: