PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do you get the balance right?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisdevie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:51 pm    Post subject: How do you get the balance right? Reply with quote

I'm wrestling with this at the moment. For those of us who assume that business as usual won't continue in their lifetimes and are trying to protect themselves it's a dilemma as taking some precautions might make normal day to day life harder. For example, if I think an oceangoing yacht would be a fantastic bug out vehicle, can I really spend that kind of money for something that might not be of use day to day, but which MIGHT be a genuine lifesaver one day?

Your thoughts?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Except for the seriously wealthy, purchase and upkeep of an ocean going boat simply for use in an emergency is clearly OTT.
However many moderately well off people greatly enjoy sailing and are able to keep a boat, in such cases the craft is mainly purchased for leisure and holidays, and any usefulness in an emergency is purely secondary.
In such circumstances, it is arguably worth spending a LIITLE extra money so as to render the craft more useful in an emergency. Examples might include favouring twin engines over a single engine, with sails as well, larger fuel and fresh water tanks, increased stocks of spare parts and so on.

Similar arguments apply to more mundane purchases, if you need a vehicle then consider paying a little more for one that is suitable for emergencies, diesel fuel rather than petrol, and big enough to carry supplies. A mustard yellow Volvo estate might suit Smile

In my case I would spend up to about £100 a time on doom specific purchases. More than that on items that will be used normally.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on the principle that I do the things that are necessary that I like doing and spend money on those things. In your case, B, if I liked sailing I would be happy to spend the money on a boat as I would get the use out of it. If I wouldn't get any use out of it, or couldn't rent it out in the meantime to get some income from it, I wouldn't bother.

I felt that a cellar is a good investment for the future for food storage and protection against excess heat so I spent a lot of extra money on my new house to build it with a cellar. I have amassed a good quantity of good quality hand tools as well as battery operated power tools which can be charged from our PV panels. These are also investments for the future which I enjoy using now.
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having owned a relatively inexpensive boat for several years, but not now, I would not think of buying a sea going boat unless I had masses of spare cash. When I bought the boat, I had ideas about how useful it would be in the event of TEOTWAWKI. Well, that hasn’t happened yet, and it was sold nearly ten years ago. The upkeep was small in boat terms, but it cost a few £k per year.

If you intend to use it at sea, you had better be in current pracice, the sea is a very unforgiving place. The amount of preparation even for costal waters is large, and of significant cost. That’s why so many would be sailors find themselves in difficulties every year, and need rescuing. They hadn’t enough knowledge, experience, or money.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

unless you have money/resources to trade and somewhere to go to, what's the point of an ocean going boat?
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
unless you have money/resources to trade and somewhere to go to, what's the point of an ocean going boat?

In the near term, after a sudden crash, you would probably be safer at sea and out of sight of land, than being ashore.

However I think that intention of this thread was not primarily to discuss yachts and boats. I think that the intention was to talk about preps in general, and how far to go in terms of expense and disruption when preparing.
Acquiring a yacht or boat was simply one illustrative example.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought about it in Australia and even learnt to sail as a preparation. If you own land and stores on land they could get overrun by the zombie hordes in the event of collapse whereas a boat could sit over the horizon for a while while things calm down. Security could be better as well. After a crash a boat could be a useful means of shipping goods and people around as a form of income.

What worried me was just the cost of a boat and my relative distance from the sea when I moved to a new job some years ago. Also a lot of high performance powerboats with radars are available in Australia and some could be appropriated by the wrong sort of people with bad intent towards you and your boat.

As a result I resolved that if I was in a collapse situation I would just prepare my own home as there was a good chance I would be there at the time and if I happened to be caught away from home and be by the sea then I would simply 'borrow' the most suitable sailboat and make my way home using it.
At the moment I am nearly paid off on the mortgage on the present place and I am slowly making preparations to the home such as energy conservation, improving security, introducing several ways of heating/cooking and planting food producing plants and trees along with generally honing my gardening skills. Longer term, in five years, say, I intend to buy about two acres (more than this attracts unwanted attentions from the authorities tax wise and pension wise in Australia) about five minutes out of town by car and build a secure house and start up a garden again. At present anyway my philosophy is to bug out in place and devote most of my resources to this by having one or possibly more mortgage-free prepared properties away from large Australian cities.

As an interesting aside and nothing to do with boats, one of the Electricians here on site is a prepper and we have had a few good conversations about various topics including his off grid system and geiger counter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: