PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korea watch
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An oil pipeline that is full of oil may corrode from the outside, like any other steel structure.
An oil pipeline that is disused and empty of oil may also corrode from the inside as well.
External corrosion may be partly prevented by protective coatings, and by cathodic protection.

A lot depends on the grade and temperature of the oil. Oil straight from the well tends to be warm, this discourages external corrosion since the warmth drives away damp. Internal corrosion may be accelerated by high temperatures.
"Sour" oil that contains a lot of sulphur is very corrosive, as is oil that contains water, salt water is even worse.

And of course the report may be referring not to the pipes themselves but to related pumping plant.
Disuse accelerates failure since damp and vermin tend to attack engines, instruments, and electrical equipment, especially if cheap, inferior, or poorly maintained in the first place.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NK have just launched another long range missile.
Details from news media of your choice.

I suspect that the patience of other counties may soon run out.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the USA will shoot first. If and when North Korea is stupid enough to fire an armed missile at any USA target including our allies we will first try to shoot it down in flight and then retaliate with a comprehensive strike that will wipe out the NK military and most of it's people.
I'm sure all the necessary targeting codes are already locked in to every SLBM riding in submarines that constantly patrol within range.
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Trump recently threatened retaliation with a naval group, it turned out that the relevant fleet was not even in the area. NK has a massive military which could devastate Seoul in hours, even if it would suffer massive loss of life from us retaliation. Hardened bunkers are notoriously difficult to strike, and the NK leadership would be fully prepared.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I doubt the USA will shoot first. If and when North Korea is stupid enough to fire an armed missile at any USA target including our allies we will first try to shoot it down in flight and then retaliate with a comprehensive strike that will wipe out the NK military and most of it's people.
I'm sure all the necessary targeting codes are already locked in to every SLBM riding in submarines that constantly patrol within range.

I agree, I suspect that the USA wish to retain the moral high ground, firstly by not firing first, and secondly by avoiding use of nuclear weapons.

If north korea attack the USA or allies with a nuke, I suspect that the response will be a devastating all out response but with conventional weapons only. "Doing a Dresden" is the phrase being used in some circles to describe the response.
And that will be the end of the dear leader.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
I agree, I suspect that the USA wish to retain the moral high ground, firstly by not firing first, and secondly by avoiding use of nuclear weapons.

Moral high ground is one thing, but I expect there are those in the US who are looking for an excuse to use tactical nuclear weapons in an effort to normalise sub-kiloton nuclear weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: