PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What guns to buy?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4646
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spring is coming and with it the first days where it is comfortable to shoot on a range or pursue varmints. It's snowing here tonight again but spring is not far off.
I saw a nice big fox on my drive home tonight, he looked in excellent condition. Got me thinking about some long range shooting.
I've been thinking about spending a bit of time at my loading bench and working up a few rounds for deer hunting next fall plus some lighter faster ones to harass the woodchucks and foxes with.
For deer I think I'll go with my 7x57 Mauser (275 Rigby to you Brits) loaded with 175 grain spirepoints over a load of IMR 4350 for a muzzle velocity of between 2500 and 2600 fps. If I sight those in to be four inches high at 150 yards they will be dead on at 250 yards and only 4.5 inches low at 300 yards. Plus or minus four inches on a deer's chest is no problem.
For the small game, crows , wood chucks etc. I think I'll load up some 120 grain lightly constructed bullets to 3000 fps and sight the Ruger in for 200 yards which will keep flight path withing two inches plus or minus out to about 225 yards and only be eight inches low at 300 yards which is less then the height of a wood chuck sitting up on his mound.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4646
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for a revisit to this thread. I'm waiting for the snow to start here from that storm moving up the coast so have time to go over the hunting season. I've already got Santa to put a new Leopold scope under the tree for my slug gun. Not that the red dot sight I had on it didn't work well for shooting but without any magnification it was no help sorting does from spike horned bucks. In Maryland they want you to shoot the does and let the spike horns walk until they mature into "shooter" bucks.
So what is next?

I'm thinking of buying a bolt action rifled barrel shotgun for my Maryland daughter to have as her shooter to end her being handed unfamiliar guns one day before the season with no time to practice with it.
The model I'm thinking of is the Savage 220 which has a 20 gauge fully rifled barrel and shoots sabot rounds holding a 58 caliber bullet weighing 260 grains(Remington's version, others vary).
See what you think.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMcqqSn3PPc
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12569
Location: York

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now then: you might be just the man for this.

Do you know if there are left-handed handguns (pistols that discharge the shell(?) to the left, revolvers whose chamber(?) comes out on the other side so southpaws can reload swiftly)?
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4646
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
Now then: you might be just the man for this.

Do you know if there are left-handed handguns (pistols that discharge the shell(?) to the left, revolvers whose chamber(?) comes out on the other side so southpaws can reload swiftly)?

https://charterfirearms.com/collections/southpaw

http://cabotgun.com/left-hand-1911s/
Other then these there are not many true left hand handguns.
Many semi auto pistols also have ambidextrous safeties and magazine releases which is enough for most lefties. The Glock pistols are a lefties favorite.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12569
Location: York

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, cheers!
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4646
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time for an update.
Today I picked up a Savage model 220 20 gauge rifled barreled shotgun for deer hunting in Maryland were rifles are not allowed. The weapon came with a camo synthetic stock and I bought a matching camo Bushnell 3x9x40 scope to mount on it. These rounds fly at 1900 feet per second and can accurately deliver quick kill shots out to 200 yards. Gun, shipping, background check, scope, rings, bases and 15 rounds of ammo set me back $770 USD.
Putting it together tonight I discovered I had picked out ring bases that won't work with this particular scope so I will have to swap them out for one that works. Probable $25 more.
When I get it out to the range I'll report the shooting results.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
careful_eugene



Joined: 26 Jun 2006
Posts: 463
Location: Nottingham UK

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Time for an update.
Today I picked up a Savage model 220 20 gauge rifled barreled shotgun for deer hunting in Maryland were rifles are not allowed. The weapon came with a camo synthetic stock and I bought a matching camo Bushnell 3x9x40 scope to mount on it. These rounds fly at 1900 feet per second and can accurately deliver quick kill shots out to 200 yards. Gun, shipping, background check, scope, rings, bases and 15 rounds of ammo set me back $770 USD.
Putting it together tonight I discovered I had picked out ring bases that won't work with this particular scope so I will have to swap them out for one that works. Probable $25 more.
When I get it out to the range I'll report the shooting results.

Out of interest, a few questions.
1, What do the background checks entail and what would disqualify you from being able to buy a rifle?
2, If it's illegal to buy the rifle in Maryland is it legal to use it there?
3, How much do the cartridges cost?
4, What sort of spread is there at 200 yards?
Thanks
_________________
Never mind, it's all anarchy isn't it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 4646
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

careful_eugene wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Time for an update.
Today I picked up a Savage model 220 20 gauge rifled barreled shotgun for deer hunting in Maryland were rifles are not allowed. The weapon came with a camo synthetic stock and I bought a matching camo Bushnell 3x9x40 scope to mount on it. These rounds fly at 1900 feet per second and can accurately deliver quick kill shots out to 200 yards. Gun, shipping, background check, scope, rings, bases and 15 rounds of ammo set me back $770 USD.
Putting it together tonight I discovered I had picked out ring bases that won't work with this particular scope so I will have to swap them out for one that works. Probable $25 more.
When I get it out to the range I'll report the shooting results.

Out of interest, a few questions.
1, What do the background checks entail and what would disqualify you from being able to buy a rifle?
2, If it's illegal to buy the rifle in Maryland is it legal to use it there?
3, How much do the cartridges cost?
4, What sort of spread is there at 200 yards?
Thanks

1. The background check involves filling out a two page form and showing a valid photo ID. Disqualified persons include convicted felons, those convicted of misdemeanor domestic abuse,have been found mentally incompetent, fugitives from justice, drug users, non citizens without a visa or work papers (green cards), etc. It took the store about ten minutes to run the form through the computer data base and get my approval.
2: You can buy and use a rifle in Maryland but not to hunt deer in the counties I hunt in. (too flat and too urban).
3: $3.03 each, more or less depending on brand.
4: To be determined and I will report my results but two to four inches is often claimed.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group