PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timetable set to phase out high-energy light bulbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should mention heat in leds . I've just replaced a number of these bulbs , external floodlights , on a property I work at. On two of the bulbs there was evidence of overheating at the base of the bulb where the electronics are. One had burnt enough to separate the glass from the metal cap and another had heated enough to fuse the cap to the bulb holder so much that as I tried to unscrew it the ceramic bulb holder disintegrated.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All electric lights produce some heat, and in the case of poorly designed or misapplied LED lamps the heat can be sufficient to cause damage.
The heat produced is however unlikely to be of much use when heat is wanted for defrosting frozen fuel systems or the raising of livestock.

The losses in CFL or LED lamps go largely into heating up the light source, this heat then escapes largely by convection into the air.

The losses in a filament lamp consist largely of infra red radiation that radiates in straight lines in all directions, or can be directed by means of a suitable reflector. This heat can be most useful.

If radiated heat is wanted and not illumination, it is preferable to use purpose designed infra red heat lamps for larger wattages, or true carbon filament lamps for smaller wattages (not decorative reproduction carbon lamps)
Ordinary household lamps will serve however, but have a shorter life and may produce excessive glare, especially for animal rearing.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't believe that we are still having this discussion. As I have said many times before we have used CFLs ever since the early 1980s when we went over, entirely, to Thorn 2D lights as we rewired and extended our house. Yes they do dim for a while just before they require replacing but we have not found it a problem.

I started writing the date on the lamp when it was first fitted as they, mainly, lasted so long that I couldn't remember when they had been fitted. Many lasted two to three years with the most used lasting a year to 18 months at least. If a lamp was too dim we just increased the wattage as it still used less electricity than an incandescent. If we wanted a softer light for living rooms we fitted a warm white bulb and we used cool white in cooking areas and bathrooms just as we do with the LED lights that we are now using to replace the CFLs.

When we built our new house we went over to standard fittings with either E27 or bayonet fitting CFLs. We originally started using IKEA bulbs as we bought most of the fittings from there but found that they didn't last as long as bulbs from named manufacturers. We are gradually working through our stock of CFLs for certain fittings and going on to LED replacements.

The only thing which I find confusing is that the colour temperature for a warm white bulb is 2700K while the cool white bulb is 3600K or thereabouts; the opposite of what you would think.

I find it amazing that there are people out there who still bemoan the passing of incandescent bulbs and will have missed out on a complete technology. If you told them that they couldn't have the latest smart phone they would be up in arms about it. But then it's cool to be seen with the latest phone while no one gives a damn about what light bulbs you use.
woodburner

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your most used lights lasting a year would have been less than 9000 hours even if it was left on all day. I had 2D lights as well. Horrid things IMO.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I worked out that one of them had done about 15,0000 hrs.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never much liked 2D lamps or fittings designed for them.
They seem particularly vulnerable to early death from frequent switching, the replacement lamps are expensive from high street stores.
Although the lamps come in several wattages, any fitting only accepts a single wattage, no option to fit a lamp of higher or lower wattage for changing needs.

Local authorities love them, especially within social housing, which is hardly a recommendation!

I am a firm believer in use of low energy lamps in most situations, but much prefer standard bayonet or screw in lamp holders, in order that lamps may be easily replaced at little cost, and brighter, or dimmer, or even coloured lamps used if desired.
cubes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can imagine that in common areas the 2D fitting deters theft by the residents.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Electrical, Theory and Practice All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: