PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Jordon Peterson Channel 4 interview
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
VT, the stock market regulation was cut to shreds and resulted in the 2008 crash. There has been no further regulation and we're just waiting for the next crash.

Taxation is being removed from corporations all over the world and they avoid still as much taxation as they can. As a result the small businessman and the middle classes are paying a much greater portion of the overheads that these mega corporations and their non tax paying owners should be paying. If you look back in history when this happens so do revolutions; look at Russia and France for example only then is was aristocrats who held the power and the money.

A twenty percent corporate tax rate is not paying "NO" tax and is more then many will pay on their small business pass through income. Also the higher after tax profits of the corporations will result in higher dividends and capital gains for the stock holders which is also taxable income at very progressive rates.
We are a long way from peasants starving in the streets while aristocrats drive by in gilded coaches.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the amount of money that corporations are off shoring 20% of very little is still very little and the low tax that they are paying makes small business uncompetitive with them so small business income is lower and so they pay little tax. Small businesses pay more tax locally and their income tends to stay local whereas corporations extract wealth from a locality.

So given the choice between having a coffee in a Starbucks or Costa or going to a locally owned coffee shop I am pleased to pay a little extra at a locally owned shop. I am also happy to pay extra for the privileged of not buying stuff from the thieves named after the S American river.

Going back to LJ's initial post, paying men and women the same for the same work or indeed for any amount of work makes sense at the moment because most of the work we do is magnified by a company's fossil fuel consumption. The primary source of output is the fossil fuel energy that is harnessed in a production process.

Nearly all the heavy work at which a man would excel compared to a woman has been taken out of the industrial process by machinery. Car doors are hung by one man and a machine and could be done equally easily by one woman and a machine, a hydraulic lifter. Elf and safety, a sedentary lifestyle and a 25 kg weight limit mean that many women can do the same work as most men now.

I can remember the time when my animal feed came in sixty odd kilo bags and I had trouble lifting them. 50 kilo (one hundredweight) cement and feed bags were OK but the heavier ones which would have been common in the good old days when men really were men and were worn out by the age of 40 were too much for me. I could run all day carrying a 25 kg sack on one shoulder and a 25 litre bucket of water in the other and did and my knees and hips are fine still. But given any heavier load and I would have been crocked years ago. That was the difference between women's and men's wage packets but that difference is there no more. Oil has seen to that.
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha!

Peterson on Political Correctness, Postmodernism, Marxism, Objective Reality and Free Speech. Gets my vote. (30 mins...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjV78YhSU1I
UndercoverElephant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russell Brand interviews Peterson (90 minutes, just gone live today)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kL61yQgdWeM
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fascinating. Thanks UE.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Government and Society All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: