PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I expect that they will make considerable progress in both the construction and operation of battery packs to greatly reduce the number of rouge or dead cells. The whole pack will age together gracefully and be of little use once it can no longer move the car.

It's not a case of being able to move the car its the distance it can move it. Once that starts to drop there comes a point where it is "economic" (hate that word) to replace the battery.
Pepperman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fox wrote:
I guess he's getting them wherever he can - the Tesla model S used 18650s.

As I understand it, the Teslas (and other EVs) using Li-Ion cells don't incorporate balanced charging of the cells in the design... My own experience - mainly with electric bike batteries - is that a pack can fail because half a dozen of the cells are bad, whilst the rest are perfectly serviceable.

I had a recent 24v 10Ah pack, (35 x 18650s, 5P/7S) all but 5 cells tested held >90% of their rated capacity (of 2000mAh)... again, no balancing. Considering the manufacturer charge ~£400 per pack, I thought this was a bit tight of them, but if it lasts beyond the warranty period, I guess they don't really care. Good news for us 'recyclers', though. Smile

(I reckon I'm going to need a low-voltage spot welder soon, so I'm keeping my eyes peeled for a scrap microwave).

No idea where you'd get hold of big 2nd hand EV batteries in the UK, though - with only ~13,500 new registrations of plugin EVs last year, I guess it's not a 'mature market'... yet!

EVs will all have a BMS. I don't think it's possible to safely charge large lithium-ion batteries without them.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
I expect that they will make considerable progress in both the construction and operation of battery packs to greatly reduce the number of rouge or dead cells. The whole pack will age together gracefully and be of little use once it can no longer move the car.

It's not a case of being able to move the car its the distance it can move it. Once that starts to drop there comes a point where it is "economic" (hate that word) to replace the battery.

I was being a bit taciturn in omitting satisfactory or properly after" move the car". If it can't complete the whole trip then a shorter movement would be of no use.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
Cold weather performance improves in models like the Hyundai ioniq which has active battery teperature control.

Just spotted this.

"Active battery temperature control" Wink

To me this sounds like something straight out of a sales brochure!

Is any clue given to where the energy comes from to power this active battery temperature control I wonder? Smile
Mr. Fox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pepperman wrote:
EVs will all have a BMS. I don't think it's possible to safely charge large lithium-ion batteries without them.

Yes, very true all have a Battery Management System, but not all BMSs do charge balancing - many (most) simply monitor individual cells or parallel cell group voltages and cut charging/draining for the whole pack when one cell or group is full/empty. All things (cells) being equal, this is OK... it's when they aren't that the fun starts.

I read this on the Tesla forum:

Quote:
We can not "balance" our battery packs! Balancing is done cell by cell. The battery management system in the Tesla is not set up cell by cell. All that happens when we "fully charge" and "full discharge" is we reset the counter that estimates the level of charge. That's right we don't really know how much charge is in the battery. We can only measure how much is put in and taken out. The algorithm makes little mistake over time because of short charging...

( Anthony J. Parisio | April 3, 2015)

https://forums.tesla.com/forum/forums/full-battery-vs-balancing-pack

The bike batteries I've been working with certainly don't have a BMS capable of balanced charging... exactly how much this impacts the useful life of the pack is something I'd be keen to see any real-world data on.

-

"Active battery temperature control" sounds like "doesn't deliver as much current when the battery's getting hot" - hence the "improved cold weather performance"...

Engineer: "Shit. It slows down in hot weather!"
Sales team: "Heh... I know..!" Very Happy
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Fox wrote:
be keen to see any real-world data on.

-

"Active battery temperature control" sounds like "doesn't deliver as much current when the battery's getting hot" - hence the "improved cold weather performance"...

Engineer: "Shit. It slows down in hot weather!"
Sales team: "Heh... I know..!" Very Happy

Mr Fox ye sound an even bigger marketing cynic than me,
Pepperman

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting.
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then there is the issue of where the materials for the batteries comes from.

https://www.amnesty.org/en/latest/news/2017/09/the-dark-side-of-electric-cars-exploitative-labor-practices/

" A key component of the rechargeable lithium-ion batteries on which electric cars run is cobalt. More than half of the world’s cobalt comes from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Despite its mineral riches, the DRC is one of the poorest countries in the world, and has suffered from decades of war and corrupt leaders. With so few formal jobs in the country, hundreds of thousands of Congolese men, women and children, have been driven to dig their own mines to earn their livelihoods."
Potemkin Villager

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.facebook.com/skynews/videos/1659591590722098/?hc_ref=ARR0uV4UN-8jy9V1YZozvaZ7Yir7x5Qo-0VKG2DOxe1CfMuRu4t-CsX_Q1_rjYVFIbI

More on the reality of cobalt mining. Have a nice day.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potemkin Villager wrote:
PS_RalphW wrote:
Cold weather performance improves in models like the Hyundai ioniq which has active battery teperature control.

Just spotted this.

"Active battery temperature control" Wink

To me this sounds like something straight out of a sales brochure!

Is any clue given to where the energy comes from to power this active battery temperature control I wonder? Smile

IME, "active temperature control" is not that sophisticated and uses very little energy.
When the battery is being charged it will become warmer due to the losses in the battery. When it is about to become warmer than it should, then a fan forces air between the battery cells to cool them. Sometimes an anti-freeze solution is used and cooled by passing through a radiator.
The only energy used is for fans and maybe a pump.

In some climates a fully charged battery may become too cold if left charged but unused for a few days, in these circumstances, electricity from the charging supply is used to keep the battery warm. This is only needed in climates so cold that FF vehicles parked in the open need engine block heaters.

When the battery is being discharged, heat is again produced, and a thermostatically controlled fan or liquid cooling system removes the excess heat so as to keep the battery at an optimum temperature.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: