PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Australia vulnerable to oil supply shocks.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Australia vulnerable to oil supply shocks. Reply with quote

This report suggests that Australia is very vulnerable to oil supply disruption due to the very limited stocks of petroleum derived fuels.

The international energy authority recommend that 90 days stocks are held, Australia has but a small fraction of that much.

It seems to me that the government should build up an emergency stockpile in case of disruptions, AND that ordinary citizens should also keep stocks.

In the longer term of course it would be well to reduce reliance on oil derived fuels, but in the near term the keeping of stocks would help a bit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-44027042?intlink_from_url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/topics/cmjpj223708t/oil&link_location=live-reporting-story
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They could also develop their solar generation capacity to power cars rather than bother too much about investing in the dying fossil fuel technology. In a country with almost 365 days of strong sun a year that would make more sense.

Australia has one of the world's highest carbon footprints per capita despite all that sunshine and is wedded to coal production under the present government. The Prostitute State is even more obvious in OZ than it is here.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My company's firewall did not allow me to browse the website for the prostitute state so I will have to imagine the contents. However I doubt there is any better candidate for prime minister of such a state that Malcolm Turnbull. This week he received a warning from the French President no-less about the dangers of climate change.

Back to the case-in-point I do understand that there have been quite a few refinery closures in Australia and it is now very dependent on imported refined petroleum products.

I can only put it down to extreme complacency about resources on both an individual and a government scale. While Australia is I understand about 40% self-sufficient in oil and a lot more in gas and coal (basically 100%) I think the powers just think that the 40% will suffice and people will just drive a bit less.

Quite right about Australia having a very high per capita carbon emission - all the primary industry and long distances making for high energy consumption. On the other hand there are also abundant resources. Only oil is lacking. An Australian equivalent of Dr David McKay's 'Sustainable Energy without all the hot air' could have basically stopped at solar as it would quite easily proved more than 100% of all energy required from a small desert area in the centre of the country.

Quote:
On the positive side, Australia has 32 times the area of the UK with about a third of the population. Much of Australia has over double the solar irradiance.
On the other hand, Australians use 50% more power per person and generate their electricity with the world’s most polluting technology, i.e. coal fired power stations. Much of this power generation is from brown coal which is the worst of the worst. As a result, electricity generated in Australia is more than twice as polluting as that in the UK. In Victoria, it is three times as polluting.

So basically a person in Australia has a land area available to them one hundred times larger than an inhabitant of the UK and twice the solar energy irradiance per square metre just to twist the knife a bit.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing sexual about the Prostitute State. It is about politicians prostituting, i.e. selling, themselves to large corporations to do their bidding: Adani springs to mind in Oz. Perhaps Turnbull wouldn't want anyone to read such a book.

I've just done a three day course at the Centre for Alternative Technology on Zero Carbon Britain. Perhaps someone should do a study for Zero Carbon Australia. It would be pretty easy compared to ZCB.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A review has been announced by Australian Energy Minister Frydenberg.

In some ways I am sympathetic with this particular Minister as he does not mind raising these energy issues and making them public which does not seem to have happened before with previous Energy Ministers. Whether he gets anything done is another matter entirely.

His preference would be black and brown coal I suspect. He would probably endorse coal powered cars as an alternative if such technology was still available. As a matter of fact I have seen a coal-powered steam-engined bus at a railway show in Australia and it was capable of making a steady 10mph on the flat and could even reverse.

My 88 year old father can remember steam cars as well but I think these may have been oil fueled.

Edit: I am wrong. This man, who sounds like Fred Dibnah's brother, has converted an old landrover to coal-fired steam. Tony Abbott will be ecstatic.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steam cars were usually oil burning, but coal is certainly possible as the above link shows.
Steam trucks were usually coal burning. The last significant user of coal burning steam trucks was the National coal board.

The later models were surprisingly modern, being equipped with electric lights, power brakes and pneumatic tyres.

Steam cars usually used a steam generator rather than a traditional boiler, this is smaller and lighter in weight than a boiler, but offers almost no steam storage, steam must be produced as needed. This requires oil or gas burning since the fuel rate is instantly adjustable, as required by changes in speed or gradient.

Steam trucks used a traditional boiler, similar in design to a small railway locomotive. This gives some steam storage and allows for rapid changes in power output with the stoking being adjusted to maintain optimum conditions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Hydrocarbons All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: