PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Preparing for extreme heatwaves.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Considering that the domestic sheep originated in the middle east I'd think they would be more heat tolerant. But given that, I would not want to be a domestic sheep that had not been closely clipped before this week.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sheep really should lose their coats in summer.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know not of what breed the sheep were, they had been shorn.
No significant numbers of sheep are kept, just a handful for eating by the family.

The cows seem to have got the idea of grazing by electric lights at night, and sleeping under the trees during the day.

Many of the chickens have perished, presumably of the heat. They had plenty of shade, but I fear that temperatures even in the shade were too high.
Chickens are of course kept in the tropics, but I suspect that they gradually adapt. A sudden and extreme heatwave was too much for birds used to cooler conditions.
woodburner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt the original sheep had such thick coats, unless they were up mountains. I suspect they had thinner coats than uk sheep today.

Surprising what there is to find when you’re looking for original sheep: What do you get from sheep?

Quote:

But if it can be proven that the condition is caused by a bacterial toxin then a vaccine could be created to inoculate people against ever getting MS, in the same that people are given shots against tetanus.

Well what you get is an excuse to make another pointless vaccine, except of course the point is to make money. Vitamin C would fix it, and a lot cheaper.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing that pigs enjoy in hot, sunny weather is a muddy puddle. It's their equivalent of air conditioning and sun tan lotion wrapped in one! They will wallow in it most of the day, when they're not rooting.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tips are: wear shorts all day with sandals (but no socks of course). And leave the jogging for early morning or late evening.
There, problem fixed.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisdevie wrote:
My tips are: wear shorts all day with sandals (but no socks of course). And leave the jogging for early morning or late evening.
There, problem fixed.

If allowed of course. Unfortunately the required uniform at work requires full length trousers , steel toed heavy work boots, reflective vest over short sleeved shirt and plastic hard hat. It actually is good protection against sunburn and helps keep ticks from getting on you. But for a week such as this it is hard if you actually have to be on your feet in the road. The traffic passing by just fan you with super hot air. Fortunately the contractors have given up fighting the Holiday traffic so I had this afternoon and tomorrow off and I have retreated to my hill top where it is 85 degrees with a nice breeze.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it always a 3.5 hr commute? I couldn't face that either.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
Is it always a 3.5 hr commute? I couldn't face that either.

No that is on the high end and rare, but I will be putting in several more days on this site when major operations are underway.
Living in Vermont and working for the New Hampshire DOT gives me forty minutes each way just getting to the right State but a lot of the work is right along the border in bridges crossing the Connecticut river and I-89 which is the Vermont to Boston pipeline.
But at least my commute is a morning drive down mostly empty roads with just the occasional deer. I have relatives that live and work in the New York urban area that have a ten mile commute that can take two and a half hours most days.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a front move through with thundershowers that dropped about an inch of rain. That brought the temp down to 75F which is quite a relief.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I have relatives that live and work in the New York urban area that have a ten mile commute that can take two and a half hours most days." - don't bicycles exist in America?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

boisdevie wrote:
"I have relatives that live and work in the New York urban area that have a ten mile commute that can take two and a half hours most days." - don't bicycles exist in America?
Oh they exist but if you try to commute on one you will find there is no safe place to park it so it wont be there when your shift is over. Also social norms prevent anyone from showing up at work smelling of exercise. Rolling Eyes
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends dairy cattle are now prospering, despite the heat, they have become used to grazing at night and during he cooler part of the day.

Milk yields have increased, as has the milk price.

The grass is growing excellently with a bit of irrigation. It is most unusual to water pasture, but as they have the water, why not ?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

Milk yields have increased, as has the milk price.

I am a bit surprised at that. Even with excellent feed and copious amounts water available dairy cows will tend to take it easy during the heat of the summer. Excellent herd management if they have just maintained spring production levels, much more if they have achieved an increase. Shocked
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cows seem much happier, they look contented and are yielding well.
Food intake is almost entirely grass plus a very little cattle cake.

The land is not the best pasture, but the stocking rate is very low.

The lower fields are liable to flooding at times and even in this heatwave the grass is growing excellently.
The higher fields are much drier and without watering would be worthless in a drought.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: