PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Extreme prep ? nuclear bunker.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chosen thickness of concrete is very generous because the forces to be applied to the structure are unknown.
It seems prudent to allow a very generous margin.

No active heating or cooling of any kind is proposed.

Two electric dehumidifiers each of 250 watts consumption are proposed, I doubt that 500 watts for 7 hours a day will noticeably increase the temperature.

The better types of dehumidifier work correctly down to about ten or twelve degrees.

The facility is intended for disasters in general, not just fallout. Air raids with conventional bombs, tornados, civil unrest, plagues, chemical attack, invasion etc.

I am not involved in the design or construction, but will be doing the electrical installation.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With modern day satellite surveillance I would have thought that the Russians and the US would be fully aware of the construction and it would go on someone's target list. It would be thought of as a possible military asset, just in case, to my mind. With modern bunker busting bombs they will get through most concrete constructions so spending on lots of concrete would be a waste of time.

If there is a war or disaster on such a scale that the bunker has to be occupied, and provided it isn't bombed, it is likely that all other surface accommodation would be devastated and it will become a long term home. Assuming that it has provision for power and the ventilation is kept going it will be a very cold home, at least the levels of thermal comfort will be low because the concrete will remain at ground temperature, so I would put at least some insulation around it.

I have a largely uninsulated cellar and I know how cool it feels but then it was built for cold storage not occupation. I also had a client who built a partially covered, on two sides, uninsulated cellar and converted it into a living room. The room was abandoned and used for storage only because it was too cold.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst some of the work could no doubt be seen by a satellite, I doubt that it would be considered very interesting, remembering the enormous numbers of large excavations that take place all the time.

A large water reservoir is being built at the same time, to water animals and crops in time of drought.
Seemed sensible to combine the two projects, if only to spread the cost of buying a second hand excavator.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I expect every missile or bunker busting bomb in the world is already targeted for a target much more valuable then any preppers bunker. After all a weapon system has to destroy material costing more then it cost and few of us will ever build a bunker costing more then $300,000 and guided missiles and bombs cost a lot more each then that.
The reason to hide a bunker is to protect it from scavengers that would try to break into your bunker and take it and it's supplies from you. If they don't know it is there they move on by. but if it is known they can look for the vents and supply lines and smoke you out.
Who knows where it is?
The people that build it for you.
A problem as old as the pharaohs of Egypt and you don't have the option of killing all the workmen when they complete the job that they used.
Whatever you build you need some protection plan that no one that worked on the project knows about and will fall victim to when they try to force their way in. If I had a really neat plan to accomplish that I certainly would not reveal it here.
Smile
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is not my bunker.
I have taken care not to reveal the location.
It would be a reasonable assumption that it is within a days travel of North Somerset, but that includes about half the country.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fascinating read - I read it in one sitting - is A Doctor's War by Aidan MacCarthy. Despite horrendous privations and encounters, he survived long enough to be in a concrete bunker in Nagasaki as the bomb dropped.

Those in the bunker who were looking out got blinded. He was fortunately not looking directly out and only perceived (what luck he had) a blue flash and the magnesium-type light that did the eye damage, plus of course the sound of the explosion, which was then followed by a silence.

The bunker was rarely closed because of poor ventilation.

An occupant looked out - almost straight after the hit! - and saw how everything had been carbonised.

MacCarthy helped who he could, stood in the black rain etc. He survived the radiation despite being in fragile condition following years of Japanese brutality and deprivation.

A great story.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Construction is now completed.
It is very humid inside, but that is to be expected of a new concrete structure.
Gradual drying out underway, this is expected to take some months.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
After all a weapon system has to destroy material costing more then it cost and few of us will ever build a bunker costing more then $300,000 and guided missiles and bombs cost a lot more each then that.

I fear that was where the US and its allies went wrong in Afghanistan. You were using expensive high tech weapons against donkeys and easily replaceable indoctrinated lunatics/fanatics i.e. Cheap targets. Its the economy stupid, I recall someone saying.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
It is very humid inside, but that is to be expected of a new concrete structure.

Has adequate ventilation been designed and provided? Being below grade moisture from the water table will be constantly present and only the best of construction practices would keep it outside the structure. A positive vent perhaps powered by a small solar panel would suffice and locating the panel and inlet and outlet pipes on a nearby existing structure could hide the location of the bunker.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:

I am curious what type of person owns this bunker. Are they ex-military or politician, a businessman, a celebrity or who?
Not too interested in the location but I am more interested in who is thinking along these lines.

A while ago my wife worked as a servant for a senior ex-Hong Kong police office in Hong Kong who was originally from Australia and has a house about 100 kilometers north of Sydney. We went to visit one day and while we did not see a bunker he had every other possible preparation in his house ranging from food storage, fuel bunker, wood storage, emergency power supply, plenty of land, greenhouses for growing food, secure water supply etc.

When I mentioned the countries I had worked in he said he had attended meeting with with the local police services in all of them, supposedly for drugs but you never know, and seemed very well informed of the risks and political situation in all of them. I suspect he was probably some kind of liaison or intelligence officer.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The owner of the bunker is an ex military man, who owns and manages a farm now.

He is concerned about doom in general, and like the person referred to in the previous post, has made a number of preparations.
Including stocks of food, fuel, defensive equipment, water, and doom supplies in general.

The bunker is one prep of many.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bunker electrical system now completed.
Whilst times are normal, mains electricity is used to supply;

Two battery chargers, each 13.9/14,5 volt 30 amp.
Two switched mode power units, 13 volt 50 amp.
Two dehumidifiers
General purpose socket outlets.

Any failure of the mains electricity supply brings into operation a large standby generator that supplies the whole farm, including the bunker.

If neither mains or generator power is available then all essential circuits are supplied from batteries.

The entire 12 volt battery system is duplicated.
Two batteries, two chargers, two mains power units, two 12 volt fuse boards.

Each system consists of a 13 volt 50 amp switched mode power supply, a battery charger, a change over contactor, a battery, and a 12 volt fuse board.
With AC power available, the load is supplied from the mains via the 13 volt power supply. And the battery is on charge.
When the AC power fails, the load is changed over to battery power.
Each battery is a 10 cell vented alkaline nickel cadmium battery of 400 AH.

Each battery may be float charged at 13.9 volts normally, or fast charged at 14.4 volts after a discharge.

The discharge voltage starts at about 12.8 volts and drops to about 10.8 volts at end of discharge.
The batteries require almost no maintenance and should last 25 years or more.

All important 12 volt loads are duplicated with one connected to each 12 volt system.

With continual use of the NBC filtered vent fan, prudent use of lighting, and radio receiver, the total load is about 100 ampere hours per day, so about 8 days battery duration.
By minimising lighting, and by hand cranking the fan, battery run time may be extended.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Similar to what the power plant had that I worked on. Duplicated Nickel Cadmium 125V battery banks. Each cell (all 94 of them in each bank) had to be tested during a discharge and then recharge test to check for failed cells. Due to long storage times a higher voltage commissioning charge was also required which produced large amounts of heat. I found out that the NiCd do not like being left uncharged in a shipping container for a few years. Quite a nice and reliable battery if that is not allowed to happen. The customer was worried about hydrogen production which may be of concern for a confined space.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: