PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

vtsnowedin's 2018 food plot

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:12 pm    Post subject: vtsnowedin's 2018 food plot Reply with quote

I planted about an acre to soy beans and sun flowers this spring. I got carried away with the sun flowers and they crowed out many of the soy beans . No matter as the deer love the younger sun flowers.
No herbicides in use just ground lime stone and some commercial fertilizer computed to replace what the soy beans will extract from the plot.

Sorry that last one is sideways. It shows how the deer are grazing the tops off the soy beans.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice work V.... Smile
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little John wrote:
Very nice work V.... Smile
Thanks John
I know this is not exactly permaculture but I am trying to improve the soil both in terms of fertility and the amount of biologic life in the soil. That the deer and a wood chuck have moved in tells me I'm on the right track. Also the buzzing of about ten different species of bees is a welcome sign.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why the one picture of the twins is so wide and don't know how to fix it. My apologies but consider that when I started my freshman year of college I had to buy a "versalog" slide rule and the personal computer had yet to be invented.
If a moderator can fix it or tell me how have at it.
Little John

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simplest way is to load it in a picture editor and resize it and save with another name. Then, load the new, reduced size version as a replacement for the previously uploaded one.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets try this one. I'm looking into ways to harvest some of the sun flowers to feed the birds this winter. My wife is concerned that we will be baiting a trap so the cats have easy hunting. Got to harvest them first then worry about how to feed them out.
fuzzy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often see deer when I walk around the edge of wales where I live, but they are never curious about humans - do you feed them?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuzzy wrote:
I often see deer when I walk around the edge of wales where I live, but they are never curious about humans - do you feed them?

The picture is in the middle of an acre of soybeans and sunflowers I planted this spring. The idea is to attract them to my property as well as feeding them well through the summer. At my age I need the deer to come to me as walking miles uphill and down is no longer an option. But notice they are coming in in the middle of the night when I could not harvest one of them even in the fall hunting seasons.
How many do you see?
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't need to worry about harvesting any sunflower seeds. The birds have eaten every seed the deer didn't get. The trail cams have picked up my cats along with the neighbors' along with a racoon and a coyote, squirrel and wood chuck. Everybody seems to be having a good time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Permaculture All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: