PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

gardening
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using my comprhensive school maths which may be simplistic and nieve I see it such. Modern agriculture has something like 5+ predominately oil based calories in for one food calorie out and I think I've seen figures upto 15 to 1 . Presumably farming is nearer 1:1 and presumably slightly less than one in one out to allow for non productive babies and the like and it seems "relatively" easy to increase yields to produce a surplus as has been done over much of our history .
However , em linked to a BBC report in another thread that showed soft fruit producers struggling to get enough pickers so how we would get enough people to switch jobs to work in food production in the rain and cold rather than sitting in a warm dry office for probably more money would seem to me a bigger question as to whether small scale intensive gardening is more or less productive than large scale intensive farming.
Little John

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lurkalot wrote:
Using my comprhensive school maths which may be simplistic and nieve I see it such. Modern agriculture has something like 5+ predominately oil based calories in for one food calorie out and I think I've seen figures upto 15 to 1 . Presumably farming is nearer 1:1 and presumably slightly less than one in one out to allow for non productive babies and the like and it seems "relatively" easy to increase yields to produce a surplus as has been done over much of our history .
However , em linked to a BBC report in another thread that showed soft fruit producers struggling to get enough pickers so how we would get enough people to switch jobs to work in food production in the rain and cold rather than sitting in a warm dry office for probably more money would seem to me a bigger question as to whether small scale intensive gardening is more or less productive than large scale intensive farming.
Again, the use of language gives away your bias. A lack of British workers in uk fields is not due to a reluctance to having to work in the "rain and cold". It is due to such jobs being short term, with all of the problems with social security benefits that implies, and not paying enough to cover bills.
Lurkalot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 07, 2018 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't trying to imply a bias as such and do agree with your assessment but money aside I also feel that from experience many people feel that this sort of work is beneath them. I personally make a decent enough living tending gardens for people who frankly can't be bothered with the manual labour side of it , some won't even do something as simple as deadheading a rose let alone hoeing a field of cabbages.
But that aside it would take someone smarter than I to figure out how to get farm workers paid higher wages to give them financial security while at the same time still allowing their produce to be competitive . Low wages in all jobs tend to focus people's attention towards getting the best value for their money that they can and if that means they buy the cheapest food they can then that is fully understandable.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of it comes down to the ludicrous nature of Globalisation. Globalisation means the globalisation of wages, i.e. the lowering of wages of the workers to the lowest level in the world while executive salaries all chase the highest income level.

This is completely unsustainable as the rising executive salaries mean that the workers can no longer afford to live in a house as they have all been bought up by executives looking for an investment for all their spare money. This leads to rising housing costs, both to purchase and rent. (Ring any bells?) Food costs also rise as the costs of property in which to manufacture and sell that produce rise. The cost of farm land also rises as excess executive salaries find that as a home for investment income and increase the base cost of food production.

Eventually the base of any economy, the people who actually spend most of their money to live, find they cannot afford to live comfortably in the "rich" nations of the world and then comes revolution. Come the inevitable revolution all changes of course.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said everyone. We really should pay more for the food that's grown/harvested by others - most people have been conned into thinking food should be 'cheap'. It's brainwashing at its most effective. Why people who grow/harvest food should not be paid a living wage makes no sense whatsoever.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I don't know how one would measure the "subsidy" of climate change which is derived from automobile use and I expect it is a tax on the farmers not a subsidy.

??
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
I don't know how one would measure the "subsidy" of climate change which is derived from automobile use and I expect it is a tax on the farmers not a subsidy.

??

Climate change is usually depicted as reducing farm yields either through drought of crop damaging storms so if you accept that view it is reducing the profitability of farming so it is taxing them not subsidizing them.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's not. It is simply the cost of industrial farming no longer being subsidized anymore by those costs being off shored. The costs are now having to be be paid like overdue payments on an overdraft.

Despite hydrocarbon fueled, industrial-scale farming having (temporarily) indicated otherwise, there aint no such thing as a free lunch. Literally.
emordnilap

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

??

Climate change is usually depicted as reducing farm yields either through drought of crop damaging storms so if you accept that view it is reducing the profitability of farming so it is taxing them not subsidizing them.

Now that really is stretching the spin to breaking point, vt. A highly American POV, well done.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
emordnilap wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

??

Now that really is stretching the spin to breaking point, vt. A highly American POV, well done.

Rather simple actually. Money in = subsidy , money out = a tax.
How do you spin climate change into being a subsidy??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: