PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rural crime "out of control"
Goto page Previous  1, 2
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6174
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
" An Arrow pointed down. "meet Justice"
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
They had a very low theft rate. Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
PS_RalphW



Joined: 24 Nov 2005
Posts: 5759
Location: Cambridge

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Vortex2



Joined: 13 Jan 2019
Posts: 1702
Location: Somewhere on reddit

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7877
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Little John



Joined: 08 Mar 2008
Posts: 8064
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
Round here, the consequences for a burglar who gets hurt while he is in the line of duty and then reports it to the police, are far worse than the hurt he may receive.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 11873
Location: Newbury, Berkshire

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.


Report it to your MP so that they know that the policing in their area is inadequate. If they're opposition they'll use it against the government. If they're Tories it might flag up to them that their policies are causing problems which might see them not elected at the next election.

It is especially worth complaining when MPs complaining about their security has just ensured that it has been enhanced. I complained about the reaction to Soubrey's little scuffle to my MP and he was offended. I don't really care and I will point out to him that MPs gaining extra care means that there will probably be more knifings in London as a result.
_________________
Action is the antidote to despair - Joan Baez
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7877
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything Smile


Good for your children, I hope that the cat will be happy and gets on OK with the dog.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
RenewableCandy



Joined: 12 Sep 2007
Posts: 12669
Location: York

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
" An Arrow pointed down. "meet Justice"
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
They had a very low theft rate. Smile

This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you Smile
_________________
Soyez réaliste. Demandez l'impossible.
Stories
The Price of Time
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6174
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:
Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
" An Arrow pointed down. "meet Justice"
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
They had a very low theft rate. Smile

This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you Smile

My sister-in-law lives in a high gun control area and has four children at home so guns are not an option. She acquired a boxer to help out and he is quite intimidating when she is out running with him but inside is a pussycat that thinks he should have as much lap time as the chihuahuas. He has become very protective of the three year old so earns his kibble.
The thing about guns is you don't have to walk them twice a day or feed them more often then you have time for. I haven't fed any of mine a single bullet in months.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
adam2
Site Admin


Joined: 02 Jul 2007
Posts: 7877
Location: North Somerset

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neighbours have had several tons of builders waste fly tipped on their land.
The police are not hopeful of catching the offenders.
The only action taken by the local authority has been to serve a notice requiring that the landowner promptly remove the waste at their own expense.

There is a very strong suspicion that travellers are behind this and other fly tipping, therefore nothing can be done.
The police are frightened of travellers.
The local authority regard travellers as a protected species who need help and support, not persecution.

Removing the waste will cost several thousand pounds.
_________________
"Installers and owners of emergency diesels must assume that they will have to run for a week or more"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
vtsnowedin



Joined: 07 Jan 2011
Posts: 6174
Location: New England ,Chelsea Vermont

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Neighbours have had several tons of builders waste fly tipped on their land.
The police are not hopeful of catching the offenders.
The only action taken by the local authority has been to serve a notice requiring that the landowner promptly remove the waste at their own expense.

There is a very strong suspicion that travellers are behind this and other fly tipping, therefore nothing can be done.
The police are frightened of travellers.
The local authority regard travellers as a protected species who need help and support, not persecution.

Removing the waste will cost several thousand pounds.

You have a failure of government there that should be an issue every election. A little investigative work should be able to trace the waste back to the construction project from whence it came and then force the generators to come pick it up. The person that paid the "travelers" as you call them is the first person to commit a crime here and should be held accountable.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ReserveGrowthRulz



Joined: 19 May 2019
Posts: 732
Location: Colorado

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.


O...M...G

What has happened to the folks who built an empire the sun never set on?




Response from folks who know better than to think the state is there to protect you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group