PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rural crime "out of control"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
" An Arrow pointed down. "meet Justice"
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.
They had a very low theft rate. Smile
PS_RalphW

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything Smile
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
Little John

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Burglary is now de facto de-criminalised, a bit like possession of pot.

Both are still against the law and can lead to arrest, but normally don't. Hurting a burglar is still a serious offence.
Round here, the consequences for a burglar who gets hurt while he is in the line of duty and then reports it to the police, are far worse than the hurt he may receive.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vortex2 wrote:
We had a mobile home next to our new barn conversion raided over the Christmas period .. whilst we were at home.

Maybe the six or seventh break in we have had over nine years.

Pointless talking to the police.

In fact we warned the police about suspicious people 'casing' local properties a few days earlier.

The police operator just LAUGHED at me. She said that I was living in the past, and that they would only come out if we could see a crime in progress.

Report it to your MP so that they know that the policing in their area is inadequate. If they're opposition they'll use it against the government. If they're Tories it might flag up to them that their policies are causing problems which might see them not elected at the next election.

It is especially worth complaining when MPs complaining about their security has just ensured that it has been enhanced. I complained about the reaction to Soubrey's little scuffle to my MP and he was offended. I don't really care and I will point out to him that MPs gaining extra care means that there will probably be more knifings in London as a result.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS_RalphW wrote:
My children decided to spend their Christmas present money on rehoming a 16 year old cat. This morning we were late feeding so it came down stairs and started eating the dog's breakfast (which is 9 months old and twice the weight) whilst the dog barked from a safe distance on the other side of the room.

Size isn't everything Smile

Good for your children, I hope that the cat will be happy and gets on OK with the dog.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
Back a few years a local gun shop had a sign up behind the counter. "Justice likes peace and quiet at night. Anyone who disturbs his sleep will have his remains thrown in the trash in the morning.
If you looked where the arrow pointed behind the counter there was a black and white Great Dane the size of a Shetland pony ensconced on his bed.

This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you Smile
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RenewableCandy wrote:
vtsnowedin wrote:

This ties in with a comment I once read by Michael Moore:
"If you're (contemplating a gun because you're) worried about Security, get a dog."
To be fair, he was addressing urban types rather than folk like you Smile

My sister-in-law lives in a high gun control area and has four children at home so guns are not an option. She acquired a boxer to help out and he is quite intimidating when she is out running with him but inside is a pussycat that thinks he should have as much lap time as the chihuahuas. He has become very protective of the three year old so earns his kibble.
The thing about guns is you don't have to walk them twice a day or feed them more often then you have time for. I haven't fed any of mine a single bullet in months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: