PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bug out collaboration?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sam_uk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Bug out collaboration? Reply with quote

I tend to think a fast crash is unlikely, and even if it happened running around the country to areas you don't know well is unlikely to be a good idea.

That said if anyone is interested in helping with a bug out plan B then I'd be happy to share some thoughts and some work I'm planning to do over the next couple of years.

I'd rather not put it on the internet, so PM me.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would, IMHO, be helpful If you could put a LITTLE more information about your ideas, here in the public domain.

Are you for example considering some form of mutual aid arrangement whereby a select group agree to shelter and otherwise assist each other in the event of some disaster.
Or are you perhaps considering that a group could pool money to purchase a bug out location for the joint use of any paid up member.
Or perhaps you have a location in mind, and would share this with others in return for contributions in supplies, equipment, work, or money.

If you feel able to disclose a LITTLE more, do of course take care not to reveal names or places.
sam_uk

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's more of a location and a development strategy for that location.

Looking for people to contribute time, resources or social capital.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been quite a while sense I considered this so forgive me if I contradict something I said several years ago.
I live in a place where many would want to "bug out to" so my situation doesn't fit most of the people who read this so my thoughts go to those with different circumstances.
For the resident of an urban apartment the question is do you hunker down in place or try to flee to a safer location? Questions that arise are many.
Will the city shut off water, gas and electricity? Can you get by without it? Will there be riots and looting in your neighbor hood? Will the rioters burn your building? Will the other residents help you defend it to prevent that. With what?
How much food is on hand? What are the chances of resupply?
If just one of those questions comes back negative then you have to consider bugging out but then the question becomes"To where"? Sad fact is all the good bug out locations are taken and your arrival hat in hand will not be welcome unless you can bring something to them they do not already have enough of and need.
The suburban resident is only a little better off as he may have a car or two to bug out with but still will have to move once roving gangs start going street by street to loot what is left. I don't see many suburbanites making a stand and shooting the looters. Even if they did they would still face the problems of food and water and heat/ fuel as soon as the next winter season hits them.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK govt advice is to hunker down in the event of a disaster.

Makes sense to me : you know the people, shops, alleyways, 'secret' places and paths etc in your area.

Your neighbours may not be your friends - but in the face of adversity I would rather work with them than be a refugee trying to obtain support from a strange community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: