PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are we on the brink of an electric car revolution?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtsnowedin wrote:
I just came across an ad for the Rivian electric pickup truck which you can pre order now (in the USA at least) for a projected 2020 production start. They have test vehicles wearing Ford F150 sheet metal driving around Detroit now.
At $69K to start it is a bit steep for me and I would not want the four door configuration that is the only model shown. But perhaps in a few years when my present ICE pickup wears out and these have a proven track record.
https://products.rivian.com/
Quote:
Please Note: Preorders require a deposit of $1,000. Production will begin in 2020. Fully-equipped vehicles with the highest performance level and largest battery pack will enter production first. Our 180 kWh and 135 kWh packs will be available at launch with the 105 kWh to follow in 2021. You can cancel your preorder and receive a full refund at anytime by sending an email to preorders@rivian.com. Rivian will execute your refund within 3 business days. Depending on your bank, you may not be able to access the refunded amount for up to 7 days.

It says it can wade through a full meter of water so might do alright in the spring mud here.
What do you think.

There is a nice review on the fullychargedshow youtube channel.
Looks very nice except for the silly headlights that would have to go and will probably not go down very well with the target market who don't want to look like a dick driving a pickup to get a carton of milk.
I would be happy to drive it if looking like a dick caught on but I would prefer a car that you could not tell it apart from an internal combustion equivalent until you put your foot down.
Being a former Maestro Clubman Diesel driver I have had my time looking like a dick while driving and would prefer to be a passenger on a battery or hydrogen powered bus to getting in one of those. Our American friend will probably not understand that one until he researches a bit.
vtsnowedin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I had to google the Maestro Clubman Diesel to see what you meant. Smile
I've drove worse. A Ford pinto for one.
Can't speak to the Rivias headlight design. They keep changing front grill and headlight configurations just to be "New and improved". I'm a utilitarian kind of guy so wouldn't care what they look like as long as they work reliably and are convenient to change bulbs when needed.
By the time my present truck wears out say in six years there may be better priced options for EV pickups and some used ones around. I'll look around when the time comes.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adam2 wrote:
Perhaps they ought to come with a free electric bicycle for fetching milk from the local store.

Someone buying a monster like that is gonna expose his very small penis on a bike.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Transport All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23
Page 23 of 23

Jump to: