PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2019 predictions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
We have parking payment machines locally that will only take payment by smartphone; no cash.

That's just the start : apply that to EVERYTHING in life : payments, ordering stuff, making appointments, travel.
RenewableCandy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's an amusing tale doing the rounds of a bloke shouting into the letter-box of his downstairs neighbour, while said neighbour was away on hols, at the A*azon thing, telling it to turn up the flat's heating (because the rising heat kept the upstairs neighbour warm)!

And before you ask, I'd not have one in the house: I swear too much.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
We have parking payment machines locally that will only take payment by smartphone; no cash. I though that legally if cash is offered in payment the seller has to take that as payment. Anyone know whether that is true before I park there and claim that the council refused my cash payment when they take me to court for non payment?

My understanding is that a creditor HAS to accept cash as payment for an EXISTING debt.

However in the case of an offer to sell goods or services, the position is less clear. A vendor can dictate what means of payment they are willing to accept.
And of course a vendor of goods and services can in general decline to sell those goods or services to anyone, provided that they don't discriminate on grounds of race, gender, religion etc.
Most fleabay vendors state "paypal only" and AFAIK this is legal.
Someone recently opened a public house that does not take cash, and again AFAIK this is legal. If however someone had a PRE-EXISTING debt to that pub, then I believe that the pub would have to accept cash, or write off the debt.

So I believe that the council are probably entitled to decline cash as payment for parking. Regrettably in my view.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will come to regret not having cash as an option. Resilience will always trump efficiency.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A society totally reliant on electronic money is totally at the mercy of the government and the banks. They can impose charges and taxes at will and we can't do anything about it. A cashless society will mean that we ultimately lose our freedom.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
We will come to regret not having cash as an option. Resilience will always trump efficiency.

IME, Efficiency tends to trump resilience until AFTER some incident, emergency, or disaster, during which the lack of resilience is noted, and reviews or consultations are promised but nothing much happens.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
A society totally reliant on electronic money is totally at the mercy of the government and the banks. They can impose charges and taxes at will and we can't do anything about it. A cashless society will mean that we ultimately lose our freedom.

Yes.

Suggested reading might include the "living without electricity" thread in the electrical forum.
That was several years ago, since then more "progress" has been made towards a cashless and digital economy.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have already reached the stage where most shopping shuts down in the event of a power cut because the tills won't work. Thank goodness for market stalls.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: