PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Candles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boisdevie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:13 pm    Post subject: Candles Reply with quote

Does anyone have a good supplier for long burn candles please? I've perused the Bay of E but don't know what a good price would be so can't assess the value for money of what I've seen.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless there is some special reason to require a long burn time, I would avoid the long burn types.
The burning wick tends to become recessed into the candle and much of the light thereby wasted.

For emergencies I would favour standard types, often referred to as "household candles" or dinner candles.
These can be purchased cheaply on fleabay if buying a quantity. Probably best to stick to well known makes.

White gives the best light.

Expect to pay about £30 per 100 inclusive, less is better but check that they are full sized and of reputable make.

High street prices are usually higher, but not always so it is worth keeping an eye out for special offers when out shopping.
Just after Christmas is a good time for such offers.

If you know a pub or restraunt that uses a lot of candles, It might be worth asking if you can buy some from them.

I would think twice about buying large numbers of candles where you are known.

For long term doom stocks avoid anything but 100% paraffin wax, soya wax is attractive to vermin. And many wish to boycott Soya.

Last edited by adam2 on Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
boisdevie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great advice. Thankyou
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with adam2 - get tall and thin rather than short and fat, you get more light.

Also agree on soy, it’ll warm the planet more than light it.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a great deal to be said for a large stock of candles, a few hundred at least. They have the merits of;
Extreme simplicity, no experience or technical knowledge required to use.
Self contained, nothing else required, except for safe holders which can be improvised.
Unlimited shelf life.
The light is attractive and pleasing to the eye.
Totally invulnerable to EMP.
A burning candle can be used to light a lamp or a fire or another candle, thereby saving matches, a consideration in the longer term.

The main drawbacks are fire risk and limited light.

The heat output may be either a drawback or an advantage depending on circumstances. A candle produces about the same heat as a person.
A box of 100 candles costing about £30 will last about 750 hours, so for 1000 hours light the cost of candles will be about £40.

It would be well to be aware of alternatives to candles and of the relative costs.

One option would be a home made* 1 watt LED light powered from 6 alkaline D cells.
This will run for 100 hours on one set of 6 D cells that cost about £6.
The running cost is therefore about £60 per thousand hours.
In addition, the initial cost of two such lights would be about £30.
Advantages include being much brighter than a candle, and almost no fire risk, and the batteries may be useful for other purposes.
Drawbacks include the need to replace the batteries every 6 to 10 years even if not used, vulnerability to EMP, and the light being harsh and unattractive.
*Discussed in more detail here

Another possibility would be paraffin burning hurricane lamps.
These burn for about 100 hours per litre of fuel used, so for 1,000 hours of use, about 10 litres of paraffin will be consumed at a cost of about £25. About a dozen replacement wicks may be need at an additional £5.
Two such lamps will cost anything from £10 to £30.
Advantages include, cheaper than candles, not vulnerable to EMP, brighter than candles with a hurricane lamp giving about 5 candlepower. Simple to use, attractive light, easily portable.
In emergency, heating oil or diesel fuel may be used never use petrol !
Drawbacks are fire risk, especially with very cheap lamps, also the need for spare wicks and possibly spare glasses.
The lamps store indefinitely, and fuel stores about 10 years in the containers in which it is supplied, should store forever if decanted into BLUE steel jerry cans.

Yet another option would be chemical light sticks.
These cost about £1 each and last about 10 hours, so for 1,000 hours light they cost about £100.
Advantages include extreme safety even in the presence of gas escapes or spilled petrol for example. Extreme simplicity in use. Totally EMP proof, work if wet, or even underwater.
Drawbacks include a feeble light and that they cant be turned off, leading to waste if light is only needed briefly.
Reliable shelf life is only a few years.
Every household should have a few in case of gas leaks or the need to handle petrol in the dark.

*discussed in more detail here http://www.powerswitch.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19297
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maplin!
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
Maplin!

That was back in ye olde days ! I have edited and updated the thread to reflect changes in the 8 years that have passed.
Suggest adding comments and enquires to that thread, so as to keep this thread PRIMARILY about candles, with only peripheral mention of alternatives.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This fleabay seller have dinner candles at £20 for a hundred, which is significantly cheaper than the going rate of about £30 a hundred.

They are not of any recognised brand, which made me a bit doubtful, but look to be of good quality.

Each candle weighs about 75 grams, an improvement over Bolsius tapered dinner candles that are only about 60 grams.
Prices household candles were only about 50 grams.

Weight of candles is a good guide as to value for money, or not. Back in the old days candles were sold by weight, and the size of each candle was identified by number, this being the number of candles to a pound weight.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100-WHITE-24cm-DINNER-PILLAR-CANDLES-NON-TAPERED/183713397150?hash=item2ac62bf99e:g:lgEAAOSwW~BahHwn

I confirm that I have no connection with the seller.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've ordered some so I'll let you know what they are like after the 1st April when they are due to be delivered.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Candles have arrived and seem to be in good order. Haven't used any yet, though. It's a big box.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be worth weighing them to see if they are the same as the ones I got.
Mine were about 75 grams each.
Weight is a good guide to burning time or value for money.
Might be worth burning one and measuring burning time.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75gr and 240mm from tip to bottom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> Preparations All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: