PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notre-Dame Cathederal Fire

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raspberry-blower

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Notre-Dame Cathederal Fire Reply with quote

A fire has broken out at one of the most famous cathedrals in the World.

Beeb
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like the damage is not as severe as first feared. I always feel something when going into a cathedral, not really spiritual, but a wonderment about the age and enduring nature of them and the time and effort that went into them.

I notice that President Macron has vowed to rebuild it with French state money. I thought that as France was a 'Laïcité' country that giving money to, or any involvement with, religion was not allowed. I think he has justified it on the grounds of the historic value of the building to humanity. Also a few French 0.0001%ers have contributed about 1% of their wealth to the reconstruction. These seem to be the people whose products get sold in the duty free sections of ports and airports.

Perhaps the French establishment is in a hurry to restore it before the changing demographics of their country mean that another religion may demand a large place of worship for their faith replace this building.

Treehugger sent me an email (they send one every day almost) which had this quote that seemed appropriate.
Quote:
"Each wave of time contributes its alluvium, each race deposits its layer on the monument, each individual brings his stone... Time is the architect, the nation is the builder." –Victor Hugo

boisdevie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What surprises me is why didn't god put the fire out? Was he off playing golf or something?
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time scales are interesting here, it's 800 yrs old? Next to (in?) a river around 35m above sea level. Anyone like to guess where sea level will be in another 800 years? It might only have another few centuries before it's lost to the sea the way we're going.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
Time scales are interesting here, it's 800 yrs old? Next to (in?) a river around 35m above sea level. Anyone like to guess where sea level will be in another 800 years? It might only have another few centuries before it's lost to the sea the way we're going.

I thought it would take at least 4000 years for all of Eastern Antarctica to melt at current warming trends. I hear numbers about a 1 to 3 metre rise by 2100. After that I just get the 4000 year number from somewhere for sea levels to rise the full 72 metres.

From my poor knowledge of this there is about 7 metres of sea level rise in Greenland, about 10 metres in Western Antarctica which is more susceptible to warming than the East of Antarctica. There may be some in thermal expansion of the seas and melting of glaciers that are located elsewhere than Greenland or Antarctica.

Going back to the cathedral, perhaps it will get moved stone by stone to Montmartre by some benign future civilization that takes over from the French, much in the same way as the temple of Abu Simbel was moved above the rising waters of Lake Nasser.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris and I have had a discussion before about Hanson et al's prediction of a 7m sea level rise by the end of the century. I'm not sure how the figures you quoted were worked out, BDU, but some of the figures on sea level rise have been worked on a linear basis when the actual rise will be exponential. I presume this is the difference between the IPCC's one metre and Hanson's 7m.

People like Macron work on the basis of the future looking much like today only better and richer and the EU being a US of Europe so all will be well with the world!! My MP thinks (hopes?) that technology will save us from our stupidity! Morons.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.joe.ie/life-style/notre-dame-feature-665670

Quote:
If two men in a world of more than 7 billion people can provide €300million to restore Notre Dame, within six hours, then there is enough money in the world to feed every mouth, shelter every family and educate every child.

BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
https://www.joe.ie/life-style/notre-dame-feature-665670

Quote:
If two men in a world of more than 7 billion people can provide €300million to restore Notre Dame, within six hours, then there is enough money in the world to feed every mouth, shelter every family and educate every child.

The money may be tax deductible.
clv101
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BritDownUnder wrote:

Indeed, meaning around half of these 'donations' would otherwise be public money.
woodburner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clv101 wrote:
BritDownUnder wrote:

Indeed, meaning around half of these 'donations' would otherwise be public money.

Or kept in tax havens.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: