PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parliamentary rituals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vortex2

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 pm    Post subject: Parliamentary rituals Reply with quote

Is it just me?

Now that we know how useless and self-serving MPs are, do you find Parliamentary rituals to be devices to snow the Little People?

For example, from now on I will see the Queen's Opening Of Parliament with new eyes.

The doors of the Commons will be hammered by Black Rod with the Mace.

I now imagine that when the doors open the cameras will reveal ... a seething pile of maggots and cockroaches.

The sad thing is we are paying for all this .. and then the maggots and cockroaches will expect - nay, demand - our respect and obedience.

It's time to sweep the whole mess away.
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The City Remembrancer. Should be first one strung up.
Vortex2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

emordnilap wrote:
The City Remembrancer. Should be first one strung up.

Had to Google that.

You couldn't make this stuff up.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice title but not as good as the "Paymaster General". As for what work he, or she, does I expect you get a nice house, allowance and all the good food and drink you can consume. What better occupation for a well connected person who is reaching the end of their career.

I worked in the City of London in the early to mid-1990s and it is full of weird traditions. One colleague higher up than me went to vaguely masonic meeting once and was invited to drink from the "Cup of love". The big thing then was (apart from the IRA bombs) that the elections to the local council (the City of London Corporation) were far from democratic. Only partnerships (e.g. lawyers, surveyors, accountants, traders etc) could vote and not large multinational companies e.g. Citibank or Morgan Stanley, could not. Not sure if the ordinary plebs got a voice - I doubt it. I expect big money gets its voice heard somehow.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should The Remembrancer declare an interest and withdraw from any debate that he has an interest in?
emordnilap

Location: Houǝsʇlʎ' ᴉʇ,s ɹǝɐllʎ uoʇ ʍoɹʇɥ ʇɥǝ ǝɟɟoɹʇ' pou,ʇ ǝʌǝu qoʇɥǝɹ˙

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kenneal - lagger wrote:
Should The Remembrancer declare an interest and withdraw from any debate that he has an interest in?

S/he's there to defend interests.
adam2
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't mind a bit of ritual and tradition, it distinguishes us from various newer countries that don't have any long standing tradition to celebrate.

Provided that cost is not too great, and that the proper business of parliament is not unduly slowed down, then I support heritage, tradition, and ceremony.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: