PowerSwitch Main Page
PowerSwitch
The UK's Peak Oil Discussion Forum & Community

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone working toward Off Grid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
moeeziqb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:44 am    Post subject: Anyone working toward Off Grid Reply with quote

I would seem that the technology is now available for Off grid systems. I'm wonder if there are any Eco-renovators out there working toward this amazing goal.

Solar P/V has become quite affordable and the supporting equipment, inverters etc. have become more reliable. And now the Tesla Powerwall the best tech in electrical energy storage is here.

The other side of the equation, the consumers of that electrical energy have become very efficient. LED lighting, appliances, and heat-pumps.

The methods for home construction and materials have gotten better. The passive house designs requiring such a small amount of heat is another step in the right direction.

I'm just wonder if eco-renovators are working toward the goal??
ReserveGrowthRulz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone working toward Off Grid Reply with quote

moeeziqb wrote:
I would seem that the technology is now available for Off grid systems. I'm wonder if there are any Eco-renovators out there working toward this amazing goal.

Solar P/V has become quite affordable and the supporting equipment, inverters etc. have become more reliable. And now the Tesla Powerwall the best tech in electrical energy storage is here.

The other side of the equation, the consumers of that electrical energy have become very efficient. LED lighting, appliances, and heat-pumps.

The methods for home construction and materials have gotten better. The passive house designs requiring such a small amount of heat is another step in the right direction.

I'm just wonder if eco-renovators are working toward the goal??

I grew up mostly off grid, at first. Certainly, backstepping into a near Amish lifestyle shouldn't require much work should it? Certainly not batteries, solar panels or worrying about installing a tesla battery pack to run this techno-eco-topia.

Grow some food. Burn wood. Shoot the occasional large (or small) game animal, trap others for their pelts.
kenneal - lagger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've been off grid for 36 years running on a mix of small generators and batteries with PV. You use fewer electric appliances and we've used only low energy bulbs for 45 years.

As to Tesla batteries, Why? Lithium batteries are light weight, portable and expensive but ideal for moving around in cars. Lead Acid batteries are heavy, not portable but very cheap in comparison so are ideal for static situations like off grid houses.

When second hand lithium car batteries come up for sale they will be worth while using for static situations as they will have many years of use ahead of them although they might not perform at full capacity. If the price is right that won't matter.
boisdevie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kinda off grid here as I live on a boat and sometimes in a campervan - both with solar pv, battery and inverter setups.
BritDownUnder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never been off grid but just about energy neutral and working on the food neutral bit. The cost of true off grid has been prohibitive for me. I am more working of preparations for short and long term electricity and food interruptions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    PowerSwitch Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: